3474 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed

Dave Claypole
Occasional Contributor

Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed

Hi all

Can anyone explain why some of my management processors Embedded Nics & Intergrated Lights Out show as failed and some dont.

I have a number of DL360 G4, using PSP7.30. We dont actually use the ilo's on these servers (ie not plugged in) usually and on some servers these show up as OK on the System Insight Manager Home Page.

However on a few of the servers they show up as failure. The only way to clear this is to disable the ilo feature. This is not impossible but reguires a site visit to plug the ilo in and get the login details.

Is there anyother way ? and why some servers and not others ?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Justin Mattey_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed

Dave,

If you still have this problem here is a fix
I have a similar setup to you. i.e. I dont use the ilo's.
Goto - Control Panel - HP Management Agents on your servers with the problem. Under the services tab click on "Remote Insight Information" then "Remove" then "OK". Then it will prompt you to restart Management agents. When they are restarted, all is ok.
And if says your nics are failed (I take it they are not in use, just right click on the network connection in contol panel and "disable". Hope this helps
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Ken Chan_3
Advisor

Hi all,

To start with, I have a DL380 G4 using PSP 7.3 and I don't see this ILO failure (ILO is not plugged in). Majority of servers has PSP 7.0.

PSP 7.4 might correct the false iLO failure like the article states, it creates another unwanted iLO Link failure. We don't use the ILO on any servers. This DL380 G4 Windows 2003 server has PSP7.4. In the System Management Homepage > Management Processor > Embedded nec98431 page, it shows the Link Status as failed. It is easy to understand the link will fail if it is not plugged. This Link Status doesn't exist in earlier versions.

Removing the Remote Insight Information from Start > Control Panel > HP Management Agent removes the ILO from the System Management Homepage. Problem solved.

Andrew Irvine

I have discovered that removing the local agents for Insight resolves all my problems.

"Goto - Control Panel - HP Management Agents on your servers with the problem. Under the services tab click on "Remote Insight Information" then "Remove" then "OK". Then it will prompt you to restart Management agents. When they are restarted, all is ok."

But I now need to make this change to about 600 Servers, does anybody know a way of doing this remotly? i.e. batch or script or maybe even withing Insight Manager?
Thanks in advance.
Stefan Kirchner
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I have the same problem, but the agents are running on SLES9.0 PSP7.40
How can I disable this feature ?

Thanks
KarimK
Frequent Advisor

As i have over 150 servers reporting this problem, Does anyone no whether this can be scripted????
Max Wiberg
Regular Advisor

On our site we want to USE the "ilo:s".
They show up as not configured which IS correct.
How can I configure them i.e. assign them ip-numbers - so our DL 380.s can be administered through the ILO:s?

Max!
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Max:

You have 3 options:

- Establish DHCP in the network that the iLOs are connected to (since iLO is set to default to DHCP)
- On restart of the systems, use the [F8] key at the appropriate time to go into a ROM-based configuration utility
- Use HPONCFG to apply a configuration on a running system (requires the iLO drivers are loaded). More info at http://www.hp.com/servers/manage --> iLO and to download http://www.hp.com/servers/swdrivers

Stefan:

Check the man page for 'hprsm' for info on starting, stopping and disabling the hprsm service/agents or individual subcomponents...
Martin Dettbarn
Advisor

"As i have over 150 servers reporting this problem, Does anyone no whether this can be scripted????"

Damn, I have 1 server doing this and it bugs me. I guess I'll stop complaining :)