1752587 Members
5077 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Migrate HPSIM cms, keep same database help

Jeff_L
Occasional Advisor

Migrate HPSIM cms, keep same database help

I was wondering if anybody has migrated their CMS to new hardware but somehow reused the old database?  I'm trying to move my HPSIM 7.0 instance to new hardware (same OS rev, same HPSIM rev) and reuse the existing remote database.  When I follow the online guide how to do this, it has me run the export utility and then import which completes.  But none of my managed servers come over.  If I try to repoint my new SIM instance to the other database (like I am moving from a local database to a remote database), SIM will start but lots of data is missing like my discovery tasks, auto event handling jobs and my System Status summary in the top right shows no numbers and just dashes.

Any guidance on how you were able to reuse a database would be helpful.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
shocko
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrate HPSIM cms, keep same database help

Can you give us any more detail? WHat OS is the CMS? I moved my windows 2008 CMS to new hardware simply by taking the disk out of the old servers and popping into a new one. Just had to update some drivers etc. but If the system board is the same, this might be a very easy way.

If not, and you are going the import export route, make sure you are not importing to the same DB that you exported to. You said that the DB is remote so import to a new DB on the same DBs servers and point your instance at that. SIM writes some specific things into the DB that depend on the CMS name. Has the name/IP address of the CMS changed? If so, you'll need to update the snmp agents on the managed servers to point at this new name/ip.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
BrianKelly
Advisor

What I've done several times is build the new box exactly like the old one (IP, cert and server name).

Then I wrote down the new SQL DB name and deleted it.  I backed up the old DB and then restored the old DB into SQL instance and renamed it to the new DB name.  Rebooted and away it went.   

Jeff_L
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I was hoping it could be done as simply as renaming databases but I had tried to do it by the book and suspect I had messed up enough config by the time I tried to just rename the database.

For additional info, I'm maintaining the host OS, name, and IP but changing hardware models.  So 360g5 to 360g8, Win2008r2 Std with same patch level

shocko
Honored Contributor

I reckon you should try and just swap a disk into the new hardware and see if the OS comes up. After that I would simply check the device manager and remove any phantom devices and then re-run the PSP. Worked for me numerous times.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)