1756873 Members
3191 Online
108856 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Prefered System Name

Nestor Cardona

Prefered System Name

Hi Folks,
this is my issue, I have over 300 servers in IM 5.0, most of the servers come up with server names but a small number come up with IP address for its "prefered system name".
I checked dns settings, snmp settings, compared with servers that are OK and see no difference, am I missing something?
Please help...
Nestor Cardona
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

On the CMS itself, what happens if you use either ping -a with the IP address or use nslookup? DNS is the only way that HP SIM gets its names; there's no other magic...
Nestor Cardona

Your are right, I look at little closer and the IP is given to another host in the DNS table. I will check the others.
Thank You.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Nestor,

****Configuring the system link****
Configure the system link to choose the name format used when creating links to managed systems. The System Link Configuration setting configures how HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) creates browser links to remote systems and how it communicates with remote systems for certain requests.
NOTE: When you are browsing to systems using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), the system name should match the name in the system certificate to prevent browser warnings.
To configure the system link:
1 Select Options>Security>System Link Configuration. The System Link Configuration page appears.
2 Select from the following options:
* Use the system name. Select this option to use the system name.
* Use the system IP address. Select this option to use the system IP address. For systems with multiple addresses, multiple links might be provided.
* Use the system full DNS name. Select this option to use the full system DNS name.
Note: During discovery, the full system DNS name will be used as the primary lookup key if it is available. Otherwise, the IP address is used.
Note: In the case of systems with multiple network interfaces, selecting the Use the system name provides only one link per destination to the system, whereas Use the system IP address provides
multiple links to the system.
3 Click OK to save and apply the changes.

Regards,
James.