1748169 Members
4228 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems importing MIBs

elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

Problems importing MIBs

Hi all. I have recently set up a HP SIM server to monitor our network/server estate (something long overdue IMO!)

After a bit of mucking about, screaming, crying and googling, I have managed to get it communicating with our HP servers, receiving traps, sending out alerts etc etc.

Now, I have been trying to get it to do the same with the rest of our equipment, which is quite a mixed bunch to say the least. We have IBM servers, foundry switches, Nortel switches, foundry wireless equipment and Mitel phones.

I'm a bit new to snmp but I think I've grasped the whole concept reasonably well. The problem I'm having is that I've registered a bunch of third party MIBs into SIM but the majority of them are not showing up any information and consequently, when traps are recieved they are showing up as generic unregistered.

I've attached a screenshot of what I am seeing as an example. Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks!

Paul
3 REPLIES 3
elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

Since attachment upload doesn't seem to work, i've uploaded screenshot here: http://yfrog.com/0hscreenshotkukj
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Not all MIBs have event definitions in them, and in this case that is why you aren't seeing any detail since FOUNDRY-MIB doesn't have any event definitions. In the case of Foundry, it looks like the MIB you are interested in is called FOUNDRY-SN-TRAP-MIB.
elstermetering
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I now have the MIB you have specified but I cannot get it to register in SIM. I can run mcompile on it, but then if I try and run mxmib -a I get the following error:

error reading cfg: mib node has no parent Line:13
AN ERROR OCCURED EXECUTING THE COMMAND

Cheers

P