1755720 Members
3340 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart 7 Agents

Anthony_67
Advisor

SmartStart 7 Agents

Has anyone installed these?? Im looking at updating my SmartStart 6.4 Agents with the latest. Has alerting been improved with this release? What improvments does this release give, I couldn't find any info on the web that lists the changes..

Any issues found??

As a side note, will HP replaced CIM7 with HP Systems Insight Manager anytime soon?? Is HP Systems Insight Manager free??

Thanks
Anthony
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: SmartStart 7 Agents

I've installed the entire 7.00A Softpaq on a couple of test servers.

On one I had to uninstall the Agents and reinstall to get them to work, not too sure what happened. But I also installed HPSIM on that Server at the same time.

I haven't discovered any alerting changes on the Servers I've installed this on.
No issues found. I would recommend targetting Test servers first and also installing the entire softpaq.

As regards HPSIM, this is the planned replacement for CIM 7, but CIM 7 will be around for a while yet.
Yes, like CIM 7, HPSIM is free. At the moment the recommendation is to run the two side by side if you have the resources available. Otherwise I'd stay with CIM 7 as the product is still very new and there's no migration tool to move the Historical data available yet.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Anthony:

In general, agents are released for 3 reasons:

1. need to support new ProLiant models
2. contain new functionality
3. contain fixes/security updates

The README details what has changed. Just because a new agent is released, we don't expect that you update each time, unless the changes affect you. We do recommend that you don't get more than a couple of versions back, however. The 'baselining' capability of the Version Control Agents was designed to assist in this update best practice.

You can read more about this in the README, but the 7.0 agents do implement a fix to a security vulnerability, so this is a recommended update for everyone.
Jadrice Toussaint
Honored Contributor

This version still does not fix the Disk Space threshold issue. I guess HP don't give a sh*t.
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

Now Jadrice - the solution to the threshold problem, while not hard, has to be scheduled as part of a larger release plan. We can't just put out a product without testing it (trust me, you don't want that) and in order to maximize the value of our QA resources we have to batch things up. When you (correctly) identified the shortcomings of IM7 in this area we looked at it seriously and decided that while it was something we want to do, there wasn't enough time to get that type of change into the first HP SIM release.

We will have a fix for it, but it won't make it until the next Windows release (which also contains the updated utility - so that makse it end of 1Q04.)
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!