1748165 Members
3761 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

KVM Cascading

Martin Walders

KVM Cascading

I have 2 KVM's in our server room. Both are 2x16 336045-B21. KVM A has aprox 40-50 servers connected to it through several expansion modules. KVM B also has 40-50 diferent servers connected to it through several expansion modules. My boss has tasked me to connect both KVM's together so any server can me reached from either KVM. Intially I connected a cat6 cable from the console port of KVM B to an open regular port on KVM A. On KVM A I can only see 7 of the servers physically attached to KVM B. I am not sure why I do not see all the servers. Also there does not seem to be any rhym or reason why I see these particular 7 servers. They are coming from diferent expansion modules, using diferent types of adaptors (usb and PS2). Is what I am trying to do possible or am I limited due to the fact that I am using expansion modules on both KVM's?
9 REPLIES 9
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Re: KVM Cascading

Hi Martin
I guess it could be achieved. The problem might exist because of different firmware in KVMs and/or adapters. anyway try to upgrade the firmware on the KVMs, and after that on the interface adapters.
The latest firmware for the part number you mentioned is here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25399.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

And from this page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=435577
you can get KVM Switch User Guide and Deploying HP KVM consoling solutions best practices document.
Maybe this will help.
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Martin Walders

Thanks for the info. I succesfully flashed the firmware on both KVM's and the individual interface adaptors. However I am still experiencing the same problem. I did find that if I move my cat6 cable to a diferent port on KVMA I see 8 different servers, but never all the servers at once. It seems the grouping of servers I see are connected to individual expansion modules on KVMB. I did read the PDF file you linked and it mentioned cascading will only go one level deep and a single expansion module equals one level. Could this be my problem?
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

I guess that might be the problem, unfortunately...
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Do you have any servers on KVMB, that are attached directly to KVMB (not the expansion modules)? In case you have, do you see them?
Martin Walders

Yes I have approx 40 servers physically attached to each KVM. I see all the servers physically attached plus 8 servers from the other kvm.
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Are the 8 servers you see on the other KVM attached directly to it, or via expansion box?
If they are connected via expansion box, and you have no servers attached directly that KVM, I guess it's the problem with the fact that it is a second level of cascading and KVM lets you see only one of the expansion boxes on the cascaded KVM. In that case rearranging server connections, and connecting all the expansion boxes and the second KVM to the first KVM should solve the problem.
Martin Walders

Thanks for the help. We are planning on moving our data centre later this year, so I will reconfigure the KVM's then with one layer of cascading in mind.
Martin Walders

Put project on hold until I can reconfigure kvm's