Servers - General
1753889 Members
7635 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rack & Power Manager - Segment shutdown problem

Stuart Hall_2

Rack & Power Manager - Segment shutdown problem

This is a bit complex, but bear with it...

I have 2 R3000 XR UPS configured in redundant config, currently powering 4 Windows Server 2003 servers. Each server has dual PSUs, each of which is fed from a different UPS thus ensuring reliability. Two of the servers are connected to a UPS via a serial cable for management purposes.

I have installed and configured RPM with the appropriate agents running on the appropriate servers. I have configured 3 of the server agents on load segment 1 of each UPS and set them up to run for 30 minutes before shutting down gracefully and removing power to the segment.

The problem is that is I remove utility power from one of the UPS (doesn't matter which), the RPM software immediately shuts off power to Segment 1 (it does not remove power from the other two segments) and the power remains off until I restore utility power back to the UPS, wherein it waits for 5 minutes (as configured by me) and then restores power.

This sounds very wrong to me, but I cannot work out where I am going wrong and, to be honest, it rather looks like a bug to me.

Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Place_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Rack & Power Manager - Segment shutdown problem

Stuart

You say "Two of the servers are connected to a UPS via a serial cable for management purposes". I assume that means you have two HP Rack and Power Management Servers running as well??? If so, this is a Bad thing. You should have only one Management server for this configuration.

Are there computers configured on load segments 2 & 3? If so what are there run times set to.

Bill

Sylvain Amyot
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same problem.

Any fix?
Bill Place_1
Frequent Advisor

Stewart, the way HPRPM is designed to work in a redundant configuration is the HPRPM will turn off all load segments and the UPS if the Management Server detects that all attached servers are protected by another UPS. It sounds like all of the servers that are associated with load segmet (LS) 1 are associated with another UPS. That would explain why LS1 is turning off emidatly. Now regarding load LS 2 &3. You say that you have 4 servers attached to 2 UPSs 3 on LS1 of both UPSs. I assume that the 4th is on LS2. Assuming that the 4th server is on LS2: You also say that LS2 is not turning off like LS1. I would recomend that you check that the server on LS2 is associated with both UPSs. If the Management Server does not detect that it is associated with 2 UPS's it will not turn off that LS. If you have it associated with 2 UPS then I would check the Power fail settings for LS2. Make sure it is not set to infinate. Infinate should override all runtime settings.