1748227 Members
4521 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Logical drive Failed

CA1311635
Occasional Contributor

Logical drive Failed

We have Nas 2000 with external storage of 2 Tb running windows 2003 Appliance edition. All of sudden RAID 5 logical dirve failed, No physical error. I am unable to figure out why it happened.
At bootprompt, only option i get is to accept data loss or continue without logical drive.
Any ideas how to recover partiiton and why it failed ?
4 REPLIES 4
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Re: Logical drive Failed

Hi Azhar,

It sounds like the the message you are getting is at the SmartArray bootprompt. (Btw: are you using the on-board 5i or do you have a 640x card in the system?) You can enter the SmartArray BIOS configuration by hitting F8 at the right time during boot and see if the external storage is being seen at all. Be careful in the configuration BIOS as you can easily wipe out your drives and arrays.
Note: Your drive configuration is saved on both the controller and on the Hard Drives. If you do accept the change, as long as the drive set remains intact, you can "re-inport" the drive set back into the controller and OS with no data loss. Also if your external storage moved from the on-board 5i to an add-in card (or vice-versa) you would probably see this message.
CA1311635
Occasional Contributor

Thank s for yourmail ,
Storage is attached to SmartArray5i , 6400 is not being used. I see all drives in controller configuration I have checked dthe controller configuration at boot prompt. It gives me options of creation .deletion , and view of logical drive. Logical drive has status of fail in it but all physical hardisk status is OK.
Only option I get is to delete failed logical drive and recreate logical drive but it looks like everything will be lost .
there is no "re-import" option in controller setup at boot prompt. None of physical drive is changed
Attaching a report of ADU, Any ideas
CA1118839
Valued Contributor

The ADU sent seems to indicate drives 6 and 7 in the external storage array are missing. Check to see if they are inserted correctly.
CA1311635
Occasional Contributor

I accepted the logical dirve failed with data lost option at Boot prompt. It recreated or reenabled logical drive.
Everythign was recovered as it is as it rebuild parity information.
Thanks to everyone who responded