StoreVirtual Storage
1752762 Members
5007 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE StoreVirtual CMC on Linux 12.7 unable to connect to HTTPS for downloads notifications

Stuart Green
Frequent Advisor

HPE StoreVirtual CMC on Linux 12.7 unable to connect to HTTPS for downloads notifications

Installed "HPE StoreVirtual Centralized Management Console on Linux" v12.7 within Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Sudo to root user and run the CMC.

Can logon to management group, all works ok.

But unable to connect to HTTPS

Troubleshooting:

Have no proxy set anywhere - in CMC OR in browser OR in the environment.

Can open firefox and browse internet, so internet access is not a problem - only from CMC.

Can use curl on the command line.

I have CMC on a Windows Server with similar CMC configuration and network config - it works.

Reviewing the file /root/.storage_system/preferences.txt there is these entries:

CmcUpgradePreference.upgradeUrl=https\://downloads.hpe.com/pub/StoreVirtual/CMC/

Help?

7 REPLIES 7
Mohamed_I
HPE Pro

Re: HPE StoreVirtual CMC on Linux 12.7 unable to connect to HTTPS for downloads notifications

Hi Stuart,

As per the provided information, the CMC server is running Ubuntu 18.04.1. This is an untested configuration

As per the Compatibility matrix, the CMC is compatible with Ubuntu 12.0.4 and 14.0.4. The Storage nodes should be running 12.5, 12.6 or 12.7.

Please test the CMC installation on either Ubuntu 12.0.4 or 14.0.4 and check if it is working as expected.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Mohamed_I
HPE Pro

Re: HPE StoreVirtual CMC on Linux 12.7 unable to connect to HTTPS for downloads notifications

Hi Stuart,

I have uploaded the latest Compatibility Guide to the following FTP site. You can refer Page 42 under the section HPE StoreVirtual Centralized Management Console for information on supported OS for running CMC.

HTTPS Access : https://ftp.ext.hpe.com/hprc
Login : e5035599
Password : }UY9in=Q
OR
FTP Access : ftp://e5035599:}UY9in=Q@ftp.ext.hpe.com

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
avi-bra
Visitor

Hi, same happened to me with CMC running on Red Hat 6.10, the error messages in CommLog.txt looks like this:

ERROR - java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to read or download the notifications manifest.
at com.lefthandnetworks.scc.Notifications.NotificationsRetrievalRunnable.newRetrieveNotifications(Unknown Source)
at com.lefthandnetworks.scc.Notifications.NotificationsRetrievalRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

ERROR - java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.hp.lhn.download.DownloadUpdates$DownloadProcess.getSpecificFileDownloaded(DownloadUpdates.java:1533)
at com.hp.lhn.download.DownloadUpdates$DownloadProcess$1.call(DownloadUpdates.java:1424)
at com.hp.lhn.download.DownloadUpdates$DownloadProcess$1.call(DownloadUpdates.java:1420)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Mohamed_I
HPE Pro

Hi Avi,

Could you please confirm the SAN/IQ version running on the nodes? As per the Compatibility Matrix Redhat Linux 6.1 is not compatible with SAN/IQ 12.6 and 12.7. You can refer page 42 of the PDF uploaded to the FTP site.

I am an HPE Employee.
Accept or Kudo
avi-bra
Visitor

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks, I'm aware that Red Hat 6.10 is not officially supported. Everything is running on 12.7 with latest patches.

BTW I just installed CMC on Windows 10 which is not supported but it can download updated and notification. This is also the case for Windows 7.

Stuart Green
Frequent Advisor

I have now installed Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS 64bit (Desktop)

Installed CMC for Linux 12.7

Storage Nodes are all on latest versions / patches 12.7

Can logon connect to Management Group in the CMC.

However, still unable to connect to HTTPS for downloads notifications.

Troubleshooting:

No debug logs available or write anything of use. CommLog.txt has nothing relevant in it.

Can use a proxy set or without and still the same.

I am able to run Firefox in the same Desktop session and download the notifications.xml file from the download depot URL at hpe.com as referenced in the preferences.txt file

So this confirms the computer is on the internet etc.

The download directory is /opt/HPE/StoreVirtual/UI/downloads

This directory is owned by root:root

I run the cmc binary as the root user.

I have a Windows Server that just connects to the downloads depot for CMC at hpe.com for notifications.

Please Help as I would like to escape using Windows Server and only use Linux for the Management of the VSA.

Mohamed_I
HPE Pro

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the update. I see that we have met the pre-requisites to be able to use the CMC in Linux, however it is still not working. I would suggest to open a support ticket with the Support team, who would be able to remote in to the system and check the issue.

I am an HPE Employee.
Accept or Kudo