108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading ESXi on Two Node VSA Cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Malcridian
Occasional Visitor

Upgrading ESXi on Two Node VSA Cluster

Apologies if this has been answered a thousand times before, but my Google-Fu has yet to find an adequate answer. 

We have a two node VSA (ver 12.7) cluster running on ESXi 6.5 with a quorum witness on a third machine.  We'd want to upgrade to ESXi 6.7, but I can't seem to find if I can do one node at a time.  Ideally I'd vMotion all my VMs to one node, shut down the other, do the upgrade, and then rinse/lather/repeat for the second host. 

I'm afraid that if I have VSA running on two nodes, one 6.5 and other 6.7, they won't resync.  My goal is to do this with with 100% uptime if possible. 

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  Words of caution? 

Cheers,

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Upgrading ESXi on Two Node VSA Cluster

Hi

there is no problem upgrading without downtime if you have a witness working you need to vmotion all guests

except the VSA which should be on the local (system) disk. then shutdown the VSA from CMC and upgrade the first node.

after that when you finish upgrading turn on the VSA and wait for the volumes to resync ( check in the CMC).

after everything is back to normal you can do the second node.

Regards

give a KUDO if this helps

Malcridian
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Giladzzz,

I was 95% sure that was the answer, but I just wanted to hear it from someone else.  I've had a hard time tracking down documentation on the subject.  I sort of inheritated this VSA setup and I'm just trying to make sure I don't, you know, vaporize my cluster. 

Cheers!

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

I am glad this helped pay attention every time you need to reboot one of the VMware hosts to check in

the CMC to see all is well on the VSA cluster side ( especially volumes not re-syncing)

Regards