Web and Unmanaged
1748041 Members
4700 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problem with link aggregation between two v1910 switches.

MCEnforcer
Occasional Contributor

Problem with link aggregation between two v1910 switches.

Port 3 on both is configures as a Vlan trunk .

PVID = 1, Tagged membership is 17,19, Untagged membership is 1.

Without aggregation traffic flows as expected. With aggregation enabled (one port per switch only) then traffic stops and the switch reports that the port is set to standby and not "selected".

I have manually set all L2 characteristics to be the same - with nothing except MDIX set to auto.

There are no other links or loops possible so spanning-tree is not an issue.

3 REPLIES 3
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

A single link is not aggregation or trunking, and you don't need a trunk/aggregation in order to send multiple VLANs over the link. Perhaps you're thinking of Cisco and VTP, but with HP the terminology is different and you're probably getting confused.

I'm not entirely sure why it's staying down, but single port is probably staying standby because it's expecting you to connect a second link between the switches first. Part of the process of bringing an aggregated port up is checking whether the port can be aggregated at all, and in this case there's no second port it can aggregate, so the link stays in standby.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
MCEnforcer
Occasional Contributor

I don't believe I am getting confused at all. I should have also stated that when adding a 2nd port to the aggregation port that the first port still stays in standby.

I was just trying to use the example of one port with a quoted configuration as an indication of what was going on.

I am actually trying to crate a four-port aggregation group which will only pass specific tagged vlans.

Thanks

MC

vsciancalepore
Occasional Collector

hello 

I prepared 2 switch with this configurations:

port 21 -- trunk port, PVID=1 and Tagged Memb.=2,3,4 Untagged Memb.=1; Link Aggregation ID=3

port 22 -- trunk port, PVID=1 and Tagged Memb.=2,3,4 Untagged Memb.=1: Link Aggregation ID=3

port 15 --Access port, PVID=1 and Tagged Memb.= NULL Untagged Memb.=1; Link Aggregation ID=2

port 16 -- Access port, PVID=1 and Tagged Memb.=NULL  Untagged Memb.=1: Link Aggregation ID=2

IF I CONNECT BOTH SWITCH ACROSS PORT 15 AND 16 ON BOTH SIDE LINK AGGREGATIONS  WORKS

IF I CONNECT BOTH SWITCH ACROSS PORT 21 AND 22 ON BOTH SIDE LINK AGGREGATIONS NOT WORKS

WHY??   COULD NOT WORK WITH VLAN???