Web and Unmanaged
1752801 Members
5441 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 1920 Switch

MikeSnoek

Procurve 1920 Switch

I am setting up a Procurve 1920 with VLANs and have hit the restriction of only being able to have 8 VLAN interfaces. (Error message, "The number of VLAN interfaces exceeded the maximum").

I have found a few articles about changing it in the config mode, but for the life of me I can not get into the config mode.  I have been able to telnet onto the switch but thats as far as it goes.

I only need 10 VLANs so rathat frustrating and it would appear I could set the max to 256 (if I can get there).

Thanks in advance for any assistance given.

7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

The 1920 is not ProCurve nor ProVision operating system based.

It belongs to the HPE OfficeConnect family which has Smart Managed (Web UI), Comware v5 or v7 operating system based switches (1920S, 1950 and so on...).

Apart from that, the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch Series should support up to 4094 (Layer 2) simultaneous IEEE 802.1Q VLAN IDs and globally only 8 (Layer 3) IP VLANs for basic routing between them (plus 32 static routes).

Said so to enter the special unsupported CLI _cmdline-mode simply look at Internet for "_cmdline-mode+1920" login procedure (remember: that advanced configuration mode you will enter with that special login procedure is not supported since OfficeConnect 1920 is a Smart Managed Switch and is intended to be configurable via its Web UI).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Dunky
Regular Advisor

As parnassus said, the 1920 is not a Procurve switch.

The question I would pose is do you actually need to create that many interfaces?  I have a deployment of 1920 switches and have over 40 VLANs although the only vlan interface I have configured on each switch is for the management VLAN.  You only need VLAN interfaces on the gateway (which in my case is a firewall).

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yep, the 1920 Switch series is not intended to be used as (VLAN/IPv4/IPv6) core routing switch...so probably the threshold of 8 VLAN IP Interfaces is pretty reasonable.

I'm not an HPE Employee
MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

It belongs to the HPE OfficeConnect family which has Smart Managed (Web UI), Comware v5 or v7 operating system based switches (1920S, 1950 and so on...).

Be careful, 1920S has nothing to do with Comware, it is an upgrade vom 1820 series, nothing more.

HP 1910 has Comware 5

HP 1920 has Comware 5

HP 1950 has Comware 7

HP 1920S is something different, no Procurve OS, no Comware OS. It┬┤s strange that HP gave that switch that product number at all, as the software features are really disappointing comparing it to a 1920 or 1910, really. I don┬┤t know why there is such a huge mark-up on it, really.

----

Getting full CLI for

1910: _cmdline-mode on with password: 512900

1920: _cmdline-mode on with password: Jinhua1920unauthorized 

1950: xtd-cli-mode with password: foes-bent-pile-atom-ship

parnassus
Honored Contributor

My bad. I should have written "1920, 1950 and so on...".
Thanks for correcting me about 1920S (no direct experience with that series).

I'm not an HPE Employee
16again
Respected Contributor

Parnassus wrote:
"Apart from that, the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch Series should support up to 4094 (Layer 2) simultaneous IEEE 802.1Q VLAN IDs and globally only 8 (Layer 3) IP VLANs for basic routing between them (plus 32 static routes)."

afaik, the 32 routes limitation includes all routes present.  Each vlan interface creates 2  routes (/32 and /subnet like  /24) , similar loopback interface takes 2 routes.

So having 8 Vlan interfaces only leaves room for 14 static routes  (32 -8*2 -2)

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Thanks for correcting me! never stop learning true numbers with respect to what's advertised.

I'm not an HPE Employee