New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding additional drives to an array to nimble AF20Q

SOLVED
Go to solution
louisdang
Advisor

Adding additional drives to an array to nimble AF20Q

Hello everyone,

Current, i have a Nimble AF20Q and 11.52Tb (12x960Gb) two datastore via FC connect with Synergy 480 gen10 system vmware esxi host 6.5. I have plan upgrade storage, adding more 11.52Tb.

Question: After attached drives, i create volume and then assign volume to host. Do we need to reconfigure any more?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Plug in the drives. On the Hardware page you will see an Activate button. Click it. Done.

For more information see the Hardware Guides in the InfoSight  Nimble Storage  Documentation.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

louisdang
Advisor

Thank you sir, I want to ask after attach drives, activate on the hardware page and then my solution create more array group i create volume and then assign volume to host. Do we need to reconfigure any more?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

No you do not. All you have to do is activate the new disks. Then create the volume and then assign volume to host.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

louisdang
Advisor

Thank Sir,

If original i have a Nimble AF20Q and 5.76Tb (12x480Gb) two datastore via FC connect with Synergy 480 gen10 system vmware esxi host 6.5. I have plan upgrade storage, adding more 11.52Tb then the way to do it is still the same above?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

??? Exact same question, exact same answer.

Accept or Kudo

louisdang
Advisor

The case is diferrent.

Option 1: i have a Nimble AF20Q and 11.52Tb (12x960Gb) two datastore via FC connect with Synergy 480 gen10 system vmware esxi host 6.5. I have plan upgrade storage, adding more 11.52Tb => Solution OK.

Option 2: i have a Nimble AF20Q and 5.76Tb (12x480Gb) two datastore via FC connect with Synergy 480 gen10 system vmware esxi host 6.5. I have plan upgrade storage, adding more 11.52Tb => I want to ask, then the way to do it is still the same above (option1) ?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

None of that matters!  <smile>
You have a Nimble Storage array already connected to the hosts' initiator groups.

1. Install the disks.
  2. Go to the Hardware page.
  3. Click the Activate button.
  4. Wait for the disks to appear green.

That's it, you're done, nothing else to do! <big thumbs up>

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Your Nimble Storage is already working, with volumes presented to hosts' initator groups. As volumes grow and write data, they use storage from the storage pool.
None of that changes!

When disks are added, the storage pool increases. Everything else continues exactly as it has.

Accept or Kudo