1756723 Members
2626 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

Nimble Connections

Synergize
Occasional Advisor

Nimble Connections

I'm new to Nimble. We will have 2x 1Gb mgmt ports and 2  NICs used for ISCSI with 4 ports on each. Since the 1Gb mgmt connection might not be enough for replication.

1. I'm wondering if we can use 1 port on each of teh NICS that were designated for ISCSI.

2. If so when setting itu p in Nimble would that port still be labeled as MGMT or needs a different label for replication traffic to flow onto it?

3.How do you dedicate replication traffic to a port?

4. Is it ok to have an odd number of ISCSI connections per NIC. E.g. 3 per NIC instead of 4?

Final Setup would be:

2 ports using onbard nics for mgmt

NIC1 - 3 ports for ISCSI,1 for replication

NIC2 -3 ports for ISCSI,1 for replication

4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble Connections

First of all, the system comes up with the RJ45 ports set for the Management subnet, but: Any port can be assigned to any (defined) subnet.
Next, you don't mention what system you have, but the RJ45 ports on the newer ones auto-negatiate between 1Gb and 10Gb.

Replication traffic goes to the subnet(s) with the 'group' traffic.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hello!

Welcome to Nimble. Might be of interest - we run free 1-day hands-on training courses for administrators on Nimble. You can check out the recent courses we have planned and sign up for one here: https://inter.viewcentral.com/events/cust/search_results.aspx?cid=hpts&pid=1&event_id=7759&lnksrc=uk&lnksrc1=en&lnksrc2=training__portfolio__storage&lid=16&attendee_country=gb&cc=uk&lang=en&location_group=AMS+%2FUSCA&location_group=AMS+%2FGroup&location_group=WW+%2FGroup&event_type_id=259&event_type_id=261&event_type_id=263&language_cat=&eventMonthYear= (note: ensure you change to your respective country).

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
Synergize
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. Whats the usual setup like for Replication traffic? use the mgmt ports for mgmt and replication or dedicate other connections?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Whatever makes sense. I think the default is to have the Group traffic on the Management subnet. But to repeat: Any port can be assigned to any (defined) subnet. Just be sure both sides use the same setup.

I would look at which subnet has the best bandwidth and go from there. Note you can add a throttle schedule to reduce replication traffic at certain times of the day and week.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo