5317 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PowerShell Module

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

PowerShell Module

jrich523/NimblePowerShell ┬╖ GitHub

Built and tested in Version 3 (v2 compatibility will be validated but it should be fine)

Install

Run the following line in PowerShell

iex (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://raw.github.com/jrich523/NimblePowerShell/master/Install.ps1')

Load

In powershell load the module by typing:

Import-Module Nimble

This might prompt for loading depending on what your execution policy is.

To get a list of commands type:

Get-Command -module Nimble

currently the help files are not populated but once I get basic functionality up and running I'll start to sure up the code and populate help details.

Examples

##Connect to array first, currently only handles one array

Connect-NSArray -SystemName 192.168.1.55 -Password p@ssw0rd   ##currently password is just clear text, will change that soon

#List volumes

Get-NSVolume

#New volume

New-NSVolume -Name testvol -Size 1tb -Description "powershell test" -PerformancePolicy default

#a more detailed example, assume you have a "clonetest" volume:

Get-NSVolume

Get-NSSnapShot -Volume clonetest

Get-NSVolume -Name clonetest| New-NSSnapshot -Name CloneTest2 | New-NSClone -Name CloneTest2

Get-NSSnapShot -Volume clonetest

Get-NSVolume

Get-NSVolume clonetest2 | Get-NSVolumeACL

Get-NSInitiatorGroup

Add-NSInitiatorGroupToVolume -InitiatorGroup esx -Volume clonetest2 -Access Volume

Get-NSVolume clonetest2 | Get-NSVolumeACL

Get-NSVolume clonetest2 | Get-NSVolumeACL | Get-NSInitiatorGroup

Remove-NSVolume clonetest2 -Force

Get-NSVolume clonetest | Get-NSSnapShot | Remove-NSSnapShot

example.gif

Requests

If you have a special need let me know i can probably easily add it in, just trying to get base functionality and work towards replication the UI functionality.

Message was edited by: Justin Rich
module version 1.1 uploaded

79 REPLIES 79
jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

I have made some updates, mostly around docs so that cmdlets should have their help populated.

Also I added some functions around the performance policy stuff.

There will be a few more updates coming.

gmiller132

Good stuff!

I have a question about the module. There is a file called GroupMgmt.dll. Are you the author of this? Is source available?

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

Nimble actually works off SOAP calls so this is an automatically generated dll from visual studio.

gmiller132

That's very interesting. Does Nimble publish a WSDL with the available interfaces?

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

Not really, which is whats been making this so tricky, however today i should have a new version published with full examples!

The only thing (I think) that will be left will be CHAPS and creating protection plans/schedules.

clint_mcguire
Occasional Advisor

I get an error when I load the module.

Import-Module : The module manifest nimble.psd1 could not be processed because it is not a valid Windows PowerShell restricted language file. Remove the elements that are not permitted by the restricted language:

At C:\...\Modules\nimble\nimble.psd1:64 char:22

+ FormatsToProcess = @(Nimble.format.ps1xml)

+                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The command 'Nimble.format.ps1xml' is not allowed in restricted language mode or a Data section.

At line:1 char:1

I unblocked the zip file before extracting and I've also tried using -force on the Import-Module cmdlet...

Anything I'm missing?

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

hmm could have sworn i fixed that before i uploaded it, its a simple problem, just need to quote it, the line should look like

FormatsToProcess = @('Nimble.format.ps1xml')

im not so good at the whole git thing

i should actually have a newer, and much better, version in the next hour or two.

clint_mcguire
Occasional Advisor

Thanks!

That fixed it.

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

There an update and an installer! not sure how well it would work with updating, but a clean install works great. I've had a chance to test most of the cmdlets pretty well.

a large portion of the help test is populated but not all of it.

let me know if you have any problems or suggestions!