Aruba & ProVision-based
1756553 Members
2262 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion

8212zl:- Is switching from Active to Standby management module disruptive to traffic?

Bright Hammond
Visitor

8212zl:- Is switching from Active to Standby management module disruptive to traffic?

Hi,

I cannot telnet or SSH into our 8212zl because all the sessions are reported as in use. I have tried the serial console port and that does not work either. I do not want to reboot this switch as everything goes through it - even the VMs talk to their datastores through it. So I thought that I could press the MM Shutdown switch on the Active Management Module, and then the standby MM will take over, and my problem would be solved. But can anybody reassure me that this process would not disrupt any of the current traffic on the switch?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Re: 8212zl:- Is switching from Active to Standby management module disruptive to traffic?

Hello.  If the system is configured for nonstop switching you can reboot the active MM via the MM-reset button without traffic disruption. Config line is "redundancy management-module nonstop-switching".  Note this is not the default on 8200. 

If that is not enabled the IMs will reboot when you failover.  You will have some disruption but traffic would be restored faster than a full system reboot, 25-30 seconds versus a minute plus for a full system reboot.

The consoles are dead also?  Those have a dedicated session so even if telnet/SSH is hosed the console should still work even if all the other sessions are in use..  What software version do you have? 

HP-8212zl(config)# show redundancy

Configured Mode: Nonstop Switching
Current Mode : Nonstop Switching

Rapid Switchover Stale Timer : 90
Failovers : 0
Last Failover :

Slot Module Description State SW Version Boot Image
---- ---------------------------------------- -------- ------------- ----------
MM1 HP J9092A Management Module 8200zl Active K.15.18.0006 Primary
MM2 HP J9092A Management Module 8200zl Standby K.15.18.0006 Primary

FM1 HP J9093A Fabric Module 8200zl Enabled
FM2 HP J9093A Fabric Module 8200zl Enabled