Aruba & ProVision-based
1755738 Members
3034 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

'Trunk' ports between a pair of 2810's - by default, no LACP? - How to enable / consequences?

Karl Pielorz
Occasional Contributor

'Trunk' ports between a pair of 2810's - by default, no LACP? - How to enable / consequences?

Hi,

We have a couple of HP ProCurve 2810's, on which we have setup:

trunk 45,47 Trk1 Trunk

trunk 46,48 Trk2 Trunk

# Example VLAN...

vlan 30

name "Colo_Net"

untagged 35-36

no ip address

tagged Trk1-Trk2

exit

spanning-tree Trk1 priority 4

spanning-tree Trk2 priority 4

And a few other VLAN's.

Trk1 is setup as 'Trunk' - am I right in thinking this is a 'very basic' trunk, i.e. no LACP - so it's just relying on STP (i.e. if a port fails / gets unplugged - it will still work, but only for the grace of STP).

I think what we'd intended was to have them as LACP - i.e. better performance / fault tolerant (of cable/port failure) etc.

Looking at the manual, it looks like we need to do:

ProCurve(config)# interface 45,47 lacp active

ProCurve(config)# interface 46,48 lacp active

Will this flick those trunks to 'active' LACP? (the other 2810 at the other end is running a similar config - it should be in  "LACP passive mode" by default, and see the change to Active, and support it).

If that is the right command - would running it on a live system:

- Drop the link between switches? (for how long?)

- Affect any of the VLAN setup we have on the system - as we trunk a number of VLAN's from one switch to the other (the manual warns 'Dynamic LACP trunks operate only in the default VLAN').

Thanks,

-Karl

3 REPLIES 3
Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

Re: 'Trunk' ports between a pair of 2810's - by default, no LACP? - How to enable / consequences?

The best command to use is
trunk 45-48 trk1 lacp

You then put that trk1 interface into the VLANs as required.
Karl Pielorz
Occasional Contributor

Re: 'Trunk' ports between a pair of 2810's - by default, no LACP? - How to enable / consequences?

Ok, 'trk1' is already in a number of VLAN's, i.e.

"

vlan 20
   name "I_Net"
   untagged 5-34
   no ip address
   tagged Trk1 <---
   exit
vlan 30
   name "Colo_Net"
   untagged 35-36
   no ip address
   tagged Trk1 <---
   exit
vlan 40
   name "O_Net"
   untagged 43
   ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
   tagged Trk1 <---
   exit

"

If/when I run:

trunk 45-48 trk1 lacp

Will it 'forget' those VLAN's? - This is a running system, I'm obviously not keen on doing anything that stops the first switch from trunking those VLAN's over to the second :)

Thanks for your reply,

-Karl

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

That command is the ideal command as an example. Since you want to change from type "trunk" to "LACP", you should test that! I don't have any free ports on the switch near me now to check what will happen.