1757263 Members
2666 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion

snmp trap error

vanessen
Visitor

snmp trap error

Hi guys, im trying to configure snmp traps on a 4200g 12port switch. I didn't have any problems making rmon events and alarms till i got to the crc errors. With the following command:

rmon alarm 1 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.1.1.8.4227145 60 delta rising_threshold 3 1 falling_threshold 3 1

the switch should send a trap when the crc errors have risen with 3 in 60 seconds. But i get the following error when i enter that command:

Warning! Validating failure.
  The particular variable to be sampled  error.

Has any of you seen this error before? and what can i do about it?

8 REPLIES 8
MarinusR
Visitor

Re: snmp trap error

Hello,

While I do not recall the error from the top of my head, I will research this one and post back here later.

Cheers,

Marinus

Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I'm a little confused - ProCurve had a modular switch 4200vl series, and 3Com had/has several 4200 series switches - this is about the 3Com series?

Accept or Kudo

vanessen
Visitor

Its about the 3com series.

MarinusR
Visitor

vanessen
Visitor

Yep, thats him

MarinusR
Visitor

Hmmm, then sadly I won't be able to help you much further as I don't have physical access to these boxes. I did see the "g" suffix and my brain must tacked an "l" to it automatically (the ProCurve 4200 modular switch is known as 4200gl).

Thanks,

MR

vanessen
Visitor

Ah too bad, thanks anyways :)

vanessen
Visitor

Hi guys, the problem is solved.

I didnt know you first have to create a rmon statistics table per interface and then attach the OID to the statistics entry.

Like this:

int et 1/0/5 => rmon statistics 5

rmon alarm 1 1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1.1.1.8.5 60 delta rising_threshold 3 1 falling_threshold 3 1

Thanks anyway for youre help!