108847 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Outlook contacts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pather Ways

Outlook contacts

Hi

i just exported my contacts into .pst file format when i reinstalled the office, i import the file.

but i have an empty contacts entries

plezzzz help me
10 REPLIES 10
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Outlook contacts

I believe the Contacts are stored in a .pab file.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Roger's correct. If you had installed "Personal Folders" and the "Personal Address Book" then you would need both the PST and PAB files to import everything.

If all you had installed was the "Personal Folders", then everything would be within the PST file.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Brouwer_1
Advisor

Sorry, I cannot go with the answers of my colleagues here.

Pather is right: Using Outlook (Not express!) select the contacts-folder (Not the adressbook !) , goto File in the menu, select export and you'll get several formats offered, one of them is a *.pst-file. wab is not offered here.

Why the contacts-folder is empty, I can't tell you...

Are you sure you did everything right ? Next time, export your contacts in a *.pst-file, and then open it again, using File - Open - PST-File, just to check if everythings alright ...

Good luck,

Jeroen
Though this be madness, yet there's method in it.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Jeroen,
Our answers DO address Outlook (not express).

When you add a Personal Address Book to Outlook, it will have an extension of "PAB". Try it.

Jon
Brouwer_1
Advisor

1. My remark about Express wasn't made to accuse anybody of talking/thinking about OE, it was just ment to make sure one would see I too was adressing Outlook.
2. Pather Ways is talking about "contacts", not about the Personal Address Book:
[Quote:]i just exported my CONTACTS into .pst file format when i reinstalled the office, i import the file.

but i have an empty CONTACTS entries[Unquote]

Jeroen
Though this be madness, yet there's method in it.
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor
Solution

The default type of file to export contacts is dBase (at least in Outlook 2000). There is however a .pst file option that was used.

Have you exported and imported to same version of Outlook? I heard about problems when exporting from a version of Outlook and importing to a newer one. Could it be the case?
Jorge
Pather Ways

I used the same version of office(2000).

I have exported the CONTACTS folder into .pst file.

I have import the .pst file and choose CONTACTS folder, it looks as if it works fine and there where a progress bar.

but when i choose send and to (select names) i've found a no entries t chose from.

When i choose contacts it have all the addresses.

But i cant choose any one as new-->send-->to

All you help is highly appretiated
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Me again:

When you try to create new mail in Outlook 2000 and then click on the To: button, it should launch the 'Select Names'dialog box. Have you tried clicking on the arrow at the right end of the second line down and see if you have other "contacts" folders which will contain your information?

HTH!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

In Outlook, you have to go into Tools, Services, and select which address book you want to use.

Jon