1756012 Members
1860 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL20P G4 iLO/NIC's will not connect to network

Kevin Rainbolt
Occasional Advisor

BL20P G4 iLO/NIC's will not connect to network

I have two BL20P G4 servers that will not connect nic2, nic4 and iLO to the network.

I just installed 2 BL20P G4 servers in an existing blade system with BL20P G2 servers. The first (bottom) enclosure is filled with eight BL20P G2 servers and is equipped with the standard non-enhanced backplane and GBE switch.

The second (top) enclosure has three BL20P G2 servers in bays 1-3 and two BL20P G4 servers in bays 4-5. This second enclosure is equipped with the enhanced backplane and an RJ-45 Patch Panel 2 kit. All blades in this second enclosure have FC mezzanine's and are connected to a SAN through the front panel of the RJ-45 Patch Panel 2. They are all setup for static ip bay configuration for iLO.

All G2 servers are functioning perfectly. The three G2 servers in the second enclosure are using patch panel ports B2, A1 & A2 for the three nic's, and iLO is running on port B1 which has no cable connected because of the enhanced backplane iLO network connection.

Both G4 servers are attempting to use patch panel ports B1 for nic1 and A1 for nic3. I cannot get nic2, nic4 and iLO to connect to the network.

I can connect to iLO only if i use the local connect port on the front panel of the G4 blades.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
-Kevin
7 REPLIES 7
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Kevin Rainbolt
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your suggestion, however this enclosure is already equipped with the enhanced backplane.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Missed that you have two enclosures ├в ┬ж
2nd enclosure - sound like two problems ILO and NIC
If you using Static IP bay configuration would you know iLO firmware for Server installed to Bay 1 and Firmware for Enclosure?
ILO G2 1.84-1.89
ILO2 G4 1.26
Enclosure 2.30 - 2.32
Reset ILO for first Blade from F8 and configure for IP bay config, check checkboxes for appropriate bay. G4 reset Defaults from F8 and turn of DHCP keep them out from enclosure for the time when reset done for Bay 1.
or
Quick test set IP address manually and test, as you might have problem with IP bay configuration utility.

For network Adapters, you installed Optional Card in G4, would you know part number that you added?
Kevin Rainbolt
Occasional Advisor

I have upgraded all firware to the latest release.
ILO G2 = 1.89
ILO G4 = 1.26
Enclosure1 = 2.32
Enclosure2 = 2.32
Power Enclosure 2.32

All BIOS has been flashed to latest release as well. I have already attempted to set the IP address manually, however I get the same result - ILO NIC is not functional.

I do not know the part number for the optional cards installed, but I know the G2's have the Emulex based FC mezzanine, and the G4's have the QLogic based FC mezzanine. I will try to track down the part numbers.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

if you could get it only NIC mezzanine part number that you instaleld in G4 (it should be optional part for G4 servers)
Kevin Rainbolt
Occasional Advisor

It looks like I had it backwards. The G2's have the QLogic based FC mezz's and the G4's have the Emulex. Here are the part numbers:

394757-B21: FC MEZZ CARD 2CH BL20P G3
397577-B21: 2GB SFP XCVR KIT

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Kevin can you check if you have in G4 one of
405094-B21 NC374m or 405095-B21 NC320m