3976 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

FC Connect HP Bladecenter c7000 to Nexus 5000

tiheidemann
Frequent Visitor

FC Connect HP Bladecenter c7000 to Nexus 5000

Hello,

I need to connect three HP Bladecenter c7000 via FiberChannel to two Cisco Nexus 5000 SAN Fabric. The HP c7000 have the following FC modules installed:

HP VC 8Gb 20-Port FC Module  1.41

HP VC 8Gb 24-Port FC Module  1.04

To which Firmware do I have to update the modules and the center ? Is the  24 port module yet compatibel with Nexus / when will this module comaptible ?

What else do I have to consider ?

Regards Tim

4 REPLIES 4
dupre299
Advisor

Re: FC Connect HP Bladecenter c7000 to Nexus 5000

I am not sure what you mean by "compatible".

These modules are quasi-passthru. They have no FC director capabilities, so all you have to do is upgrade the FW, use the VC cookbook, and mimic your VC fabrics like your Nexus fabrics. Would need more details like:

What is your Nexus config setup like? (VPC, how many VSANs, fabric config, etc)

But what you are trying to do is very well documentated in the VC cookbook. FW - I usually just run the HP SPP - there is a new September release that you can boot from.

tiheidemann
Frequent Visitor

Can you share the latest  VC cookbook with me ? I have the cookbook for version 3.70 and that says that the module HP VC 8Gb 24-Port FC Module is not supported for Nexus switches. Now we are afraid that we have to change the hardware although we have the latest FC hardware.

Our Nexus config is quit easy. The Nexus 5000 run in FC only mode. We have two Fabrics, each include two Nexus switches and have only one VSAN. NPIV is activated. The HP c7000 are connected with two FC ports to each fabric.

Casper42
Respected Contributor

I don't recall if the 24 port ever had a problem because it uses a Brocade chip under the hood.

The 20 port was fixed in 1.44 which is included in VC 3.75 or higher.
FlexFabric was I think fixed in 3.70
Those are both Qlogic based.
Casper42
Respected Contributor