1757033 Members
2233 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware via USB

zeroagemain
Frequent Advisor

Firmware via USB

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of blades that can receive a firmware upgrade through Smart Update DVD on a USB stick (attached to enclosure) method, at any one time?

I know somewhere it says not to do more than 8 blades at a time if using the DVD attached to the enclsoure so I'm wondering if you can improve on this by using a USB stick.

Thanks,
Brett
4 REPLIES 4
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Re: Firmware via USB

Hi

How many blades you need update fw?

Regards
zeroagemain
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jorge,
13 c7000 enclosures each with 14 half height and 2 full height blades..so somewhere in the region of 160 blades.

...for now though I am only talking about upgrading blades within a single enclosure via the USB key (assuming you can map/mount the USB key to each server within the OA, like you can do if you attach a physical DVD drive to the enclosure).

Thanks,
Brett
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

you have several blades....
In documentation there isnot any limit about it (USB or DVD)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf

I think 8 is limit for to do complete enclosure (8 full height).

Regards, Jorge
zeroagemain
Frequent Advisor

Jorge,
That's a link to OA documentation you've given. In the SU DVD and Fware best practice docs the warning is to NOT attempt to update more than 8 blades at once when attaching a DVD containing latest firmware to the enclsoure, or risk dropouts. It is not related to whether they are full height or half height.

I am wondering if that (no more than 8 rule..) is a physical limitation of DVD that does not apply when using the USB key.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,
Brett