108859 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flex-10 VC Drops Packets @ 5 Mega Packet Per Second

SOLVED
Go to solution
rick jones
Honored Contributor

2mpps might be the pps limit for the HW driven by the bnx2x driver, but it is not necessarily the limit of the bnx2x driver itself. On the half-height blades, there is a single, dual-port LOM. The full-height "i2" Integrity blades have a pair of dual-port LOMs. I don't recall how many are on the full-height ProLiant blades.

I am not sure that all G6 blades have the same NC532m (driven by the BCM57711E chip) LOM. Some may have a different chip for their LOM. Best check the quickspecs etc of each blade.

Also, I am informed the PPS limit of the BCM57711E is 2Mpps in each direction.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your reply! As I got informed, This is the Limit of Firmware! Is there a single firmware for both NICs or there are separate firmwares?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The limit applies to the entire chip. As far as the *NIC* limits go, it does not matter whether one is using one port or both.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

OMG!!! Then, who enforces these limits? and Where? Is this limit is hard-wired or is matter of firmware? Ann, how could we override these limits?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The limit is as fast as the chip can go. It isn't "enforced" per se.

What is the end-goal of this testing? What sort of task do you wish to perform with the system?
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

You can consider it as a load balancer with input rate of (3mpps,10Gbps).
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you do indeed need a 3Mpps input rate, and presumably a 3Mpps output rate to the "back ends" then I would suggest getting in touch with your HP sales rep and/or reseller and see about getting some of the of the 10GbE Mezz cards to try-out. While I suspect it is probably clear from the name, keep in mind that the NC532m uses the same BCM57711E chip as the NC532i LOM. Were I not one of the cobbler's children (*) :) I would be inclined to try an NC550m or NC542m.

(*) from the old saying "The cobbler's children have no shoes."

BTW, just to get the number out there, "link-rate" PPS for minimum sized frames is something like 14.7 Mpps for 10GbE. Which then leaves me wondering, so I will ask, how do you know your input pps rate will be limited to 3Mpps?
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

Thanks, Then I have to give up the on-board FlexNIC option and look for a mezzanine card!