3347 Online
108846 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What operative system in 04 bl460c?

Hugo Osorio
Occasional Advisor

What operative system in 04 bl460c?

Hi everyone,

1. I am new to this technology and I am coming up here to receive your orientation.

2. I am trying to make the better use of one blade, 04 BL460c, one SAN P2000

3. I have thought installing Ubuntu server and Windows 2003 server in two servers (since our LAN is behind central domain server, so this one will be the local one), the ubuntu server will have our local services, basically: mysql, svn, ftp, tomcat, bacula.

4. The other two BL460c ? I will try to make them mirrors of the other two, in order to make some kind of redundancy of the services.

5. I know ubuntu server is not supported by HP, so I wouldn't know how to have these servers up to date. Since I dont see any downloads regarding Ubuntu distribution. So a guy from Hewlett Packard (care pack) gave me the advice to install CentOS, but, the same, there is not downloads in Hp site regarding CentOS distro. Besides that, after installing (from scratch) 1-SmartStart (Erasing the previous Ubuntu installation). 2-BL460c's Firmware. 3-CentOS DVD (I haven't tested with 8 CDs)
I am having this (Attached) image when I try to boot the system with the CentOS installed in the 146GB's BL460c server HDD.

I need to use open source, and I don't know what's the best option since I understand that HP gives support only for RedHat, SuSE and Windows Systems installations...

Thnks for your kind orientation. I will appreciate it a lot.

Hugo

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Ubuntu and CentOS run fine on BL460c systems

Look here for information on Ubuntu
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/ubuntu/index.html

And here for information on CentOS
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/centos/index.html
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Hugo Osorio
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, do you know why is this "Illegal Opcode" message appearing whey I boot CentOS?

Hugo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

There are a various reason the illegal opcode message can appear, the 2 most common are firmware issues, and when the MBR on the boot controller does not refer to a valid bootable partition.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!