2789 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL460c Gen 9 and disk compatibility

TigerRool10-1
Advisor

BL460c Gen 9 and disk compatibility

Hi There

I've been noticiing some wierd performance issues on a VMWARE 6.5 virtual environment.  It involves latency.

Upon a bit of investigation I've found that the disks in my MSA 2040 are of the older version and are compatible up to Gen 7 servers.  My blades are BL460c Gen 9.

Could this be the cause of the performance issue, disk incompatibility?

ta

p.s. The system has not gone live yet and I'm stress testing from a virtual Windows 2012 server using diskspd.exe.  I'm notificing that the performance monitor counter "Average Disk sec/Transfer" is always hovering around 0.260 - according to MS it should be 0.005.  I'm using SAS 10k 12GB disks Model number EG0900JFCKB. The storage array is an MSA 2040. The vmdk I'm testing is located on a datastore thats presented as iSCSI (10GB) to the ESXI 6.5 host.  Yes - I've tested the iScSi network and its clean - this is the actual test I'm running : "DiskSpd.exe -c15G -d300 -r -w40 -t8 -o32 -b64K -Sh -L c:\temp\testfile.dat"

This perfmon counter has never let me down - it has dug me out of many holes over the years so I trust it when it comes to the performance of a disk.

fresh
3 REPLIES 3
TigerRool10-1
Advisor

Oh god!  What an idiot I am!

The disks I'm referring to are in an MSA (connected via iSCSI) - they are not in the server itself!

I do not have concern myself with the compatibility between the server and the disk - I only have to concern myself with the compatibility between the disk and the MSA. 

I'll go away and have a quite weep in the darkness of the DC......

fresh
arun_r
HPE Pro

Hi,

EG0900JFCKB model hard drive should work fine with the MSA 2040.

1. Is it a virtual pool or linear vdisk? MSA 2040 supports both

2. Does the issue follow any specifc controller  owned volume?

3. Collect the output of show host-port-statisctics and show disk-statistics

4. Have you tried enabling or disabling jumbo frames end to end to check whether it helps?

MSA 2040 best practices guide:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-7060ENW.pdf

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

arun_r
HPE Pro

Hello,

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo