4493 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

C7000 Stacking and linking question.

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

C7000 Stacking and linking question.

Chris had a stacking question:

I know this has probably been covered before but I am looking for a little confirmation on stacking and linking enclosures.

Stacking to me is making them the same domain. Linking is connecting enclosure from different Domains.

Please correct me if I am wrong, prior to FW 3.30 in order to stack 2 to 4 enclosures, and be in the same Domain, the interconnects had to identical, modules, location and fiber connections.

I have done a dozen this way without issue.

I thought I heard somewhere that enclosures with different interconnects could now be joined in a single Domain with 3.30/3.51. The install manual says when joining enclosures with different interconnects; they will be listed as incompatible. Any confirmation has it changed, or do the old rules still apply?

I also heard it is possible to link connect enclosures of different domains with network interconnection. When doing this, do they show up as stacking links, if so what is visible between Domains?

Or do you have to define them as uplinks?

I am working on a customer VDI solution and they were told they could link a P4800 enclosure (Flex-10 & SAS) with 2 other enclosure (Flex-10 and VCFC) in the same Domain, to eliminate the need to send the iSCSI to a switch first. I could see doing this with 2 Domains, but I have never used stacking cables to link two different Domains.

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Chad had some feedback:

Page 29 of the Setup and Install Guide for VC discusses directly connecting domains. If you create the SUS first, add the ports without the cables connected, they will be treated as non-stacking links.

The link to the Installation Guide: Virtual Connect Setup and Installation Guide