1757015 Members
2411 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Removing Enclosure from a Virtual Connect VC Domain

StanCockman
Visitor

Removing Enclosure from a Virtual Connect VC Domain

I have two enclosures connected into a VC Domain (Chassis A and Chassis B). I believe that Chassis A is the master, since when I try entering the IP address for Chassis B it automatically redirects to the Chassis A IP address.

We want to remove Chassis A from our environment, but keep Chassis B. So we need to break apart the VC Domain.

We are currently using Virtual Connect Manager 4.75 since the VC modules are pretty old and that is the highest version that they can run. We have a new Synergy chassis on order but won't arrive for quite a while.

Anyway I am looking for the document that explains this. I have done a search on the forums and found the below thread, but the links in the thread appear to be broken. 

https://community.hpe.com/t5/BladeSystem-Virtual-Connect/Removing-enclosure-from-a-Virtual-Connect-VC-Domain/td-p/2377615

3 REPLIES 3
ManBha
HPE Pro

Re: Removing Enclosure from a Virtual Connect VC Domain

Hello,

Please refer the below document. [ refer page 27]

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00073714en_us&docLocale=en_US

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

StanCockman
Visitor

Another question about our scenerio:

Enclosure A (enc0) appears to be the base enclosure and Enclosure B (enc1) is the remote closure. We want to keep Enclosure B and EOL Enclosure A. Can we remove Enclosure A without losing the VC Domain configuration?

If I follow the removal steps described in the document - remove all configurations for Enclosure A (blades, ethernet networks, etc.) will the configure still exist on the VC modules on Enclosure B?

If the configuration will no longer exist on Enclosure B, can we take a backup of the existing configuration and restore it to Enclosure B and check the setting "Ignore enclosure serial number in restored configuration file"?

Trying to find the best way to remove Enclosure A and still keep the VC Domain Configuration intacted on Enclosure B. Also trying to determine how much downtime will be envolved.

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Yes, please do take a configuration backup and perform the removal.

Also, please do log a case with us to perform log analysis and suggest the plan of action.

You can also log a new case, check the status / update details or raise a call back request on an existing case using the link provided : HPE Support Case Manager

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo