9639 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

VC Flex-10 virtual connect with Cisco 6509 core configuration questions

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

VC Flex-10 virtual connect with Cisco 6509 core configuration questions

Rino had a customer issue:

******************************************************************************************************************

We have a customer that has a C7000 blade enclosure with 2 VC Flex-10 modules trying to interface with a single Cisco 6509 core switch with 1 gig core ports.  They are trying to maximize the bandwidth from the flex-10 VC modules to their core by creating a single port channel group using 8 one gig ports of which 4 one gig ports go to VC1 and the other 4 go to VC2.  As per the note below when they configure one port channel group that is split to the two VC modules the 4 ports connected to VC1 are active and the other 4 ports connected to VC2 are in a passive state. Is there a way to configure this to have both VC modules in an active/active state to get the full 8 gig uplink bandwidth.  We looked at the HP VC for Cisco Admin whitepaper and the VC Cookbook and didn't see any reference or examples for this configuration.  The customer has provided more details below on what they are trying to accomplish.  Has anyone ever tried this and can someone provide us guidance as to how to go about setting this up.  My networking skills are limited and your help would be much appreciated.

******************************************************************************************************************

Vincent provided guidance:

************************************************************************************************************

You would split the 8 ports into 2 Shared Uplink Sets with the uplinks off one module in each and use NIC teaming on the servers. There are multiple scenarios in the Virtual Connect Cookbook covering this. The last paragraph of your customer's note is exactly right and no they cannot use switch-assisted load balancing, they can only use transmit load balancing.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Are you using this "Active-Active" mode and trying to get more bandwidth? Let us how you are accomplishing this.

3 REPLIES 3
naiman
Occasional Collector

Re: VC Flex-10 virtual connect with Cisco 6509 core configuration questions

Hi

DanBooth

I am running into the same problem, I would like to have the 8 port LACP team be active/active and not active/passive. Please let me know how this is possible.

Shahed Jalal

I do not think it is possible. As soon as you use different module or different upstream switch, you can not bundle them in one port channel group. And Flex 10 do not support STP. So how they stop loop. By blocking one path. You can not have both path active in flex 10 with current code.