BladeSystem - General
1757032 Members
2752 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual connect in C7000 chassis (Flex-10 Enet Module) HW failover not working

Patrick80
Occasional Advisor

Virtual connect in C7000 chassis (Flex-10 Enet Module) HW failover not working

Dear all,

We have two C7000 chassis, one is newer with two virtual connect modules: HP VC Flex-10/10D Module and the older one has these Flex-10 Enet Modules (also two of them).

We moving our datacenter so therefore moving Chassis and blades to the new Datacenter one by one. 

Since last week we have the older chassis on the new place, updated firmware for the chassis and virtual connect and setup the network connections the same way as for the newer chassis which is already in place. (HP 5700 core switch for the uplinks)

The problem now: with the older chassis hardware failover (pulling one of the virtual connect or reset/shutdown via chassis ilo) does not work. But failover with pulling the cables or disable ports from the core switch is working. So all VMs / Blade connections goes down!

This works with the newer chassis but different virtual connects, that is the only difference I see. 

Any thoughts? Firmware on the chassis is the same on both. Virtual connect: 4.75 (both the same). We are trying now with downgrade to the old one 4.5 (that was running in the old datacenter)
We can't say if this works in the old Datacenter, was never tested.

Thanks
Patrick

5 REPLIES 5
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Re: Virtual connect in C7000 chassis (Flex-10 Enet Module) HW failover not working

HI Patrick80 ,

Could  you clarify if its the VCM failover you are talking about or the Network failover.  If the network to your blades are impacted i'd assume its network failover. 

We will have to have a comprehensive look on how your networks are configured in the VC domain. The network failover will depend on network configurations in the VC domain and NIC teaming in the OS 

you may want to log a support ticket with HPE to get this checked.

Regards

Ronny

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
frenchy94
Regular Advisor

failover works only when all downlink are down from nic pertective

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi Patrick , 

Please check if your networks are configured as Active-Standby or Active-Active. If its Active Standby your VC domain will take case of your network failover 

If its Active Active you need to make sure you have selected Smartlink to initiate the failover from the OS

Regards

ROnny

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Patrick80
Occasional Advisor

network failover (Switch or cable goes down) works but VCM failover not. Looks to me like some sort of different behaviour by VCM if only the shared uplink goes down or the complete VCM is down. 

We currently testing on Hypervisor level (XEN SERVER) with Bond config and also SUS failover settings (auto, active/standby) and smart link option. 

Also discovered G10 and G8. 

Regards

Patrick

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi Patrick , 

Are your blades servers affected /impacted due to this issue ?

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo