1757085 Members
2165 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5120 IRF Question

aali
Frequent Advisor

5120 IRF Question

How important is to configure MAD when configuring IRF.  If there is one phyiscal link in IRF between two switches, then I understand the need of IRF-MAD, but if there are two physical links in an IRF, what are the odds that both physical links will go down at the same time.

5120 only supports IRF MAD-ARP, and according to HP, MAD-ARP is not as effective as MAD-BFD or MAD-LACP.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Same opinion as you. I only use MAD with Chasis switches.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
aali
Frequent Advisor

Manuel,

Thanks for agreeing with my concern.  Any reason why you would use MAD witch Chassis-based switches even if you have multiple physical port bind to IRF.  Is it because the chassis-based switches are typical used at the core layer and you want to avoid any issues at the core layer.

Just curious!

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it's only an additional security for the core/distribution layer to avoid a split brain.

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
sundoo
Occasional Advisor

I agree with you both. The only important thing to take into account is that the 2 links should be connected to different TenGigabit Interface cards. 

Alan-WJ
Occasional Advisor

Best protection for IRF is to use ring topology so connect the top unit to the bottom unit as well, if you have a break then should be fine. MAD BFD requires another physical interface to run so only really ever used in the core