Comware Based
1755949 Members
4506 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How Do I Determine Interface Link Up or Down Time ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
huddie
Occasional Advisor

How Do I Determine Interface Link Up or Down Time ?

Hi all.

How do I determine how long a switchport interface has been down or up for ?  We're running ComWare switches and I have limited knowledge of them.  For example, if interface Gi2/0/2 is down, how do I determine how long it's been down for accurately ?  

In Cisco IOS you use the command show interface gigabitEthernet 2/0/2 link, so what's the equivalent in HP ComWare ?

In case you need to know, we're running various switch models and an example ComWare version is 5.20.99, Release 6626P02.

--
Paul

"If you're not helping or requesting help, you probably shouldn't be here."
5 REPLIES 5
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

I don't know if there is a command to show such port history.

Link state changes are written to the switch log, so you can search for it there:

display logbuffer reverse | inc 2/0/2

Of course, if the port has been up for months then the log entries are probably overwritten. In that case, you could do logging to a syslog server and search there.

huddie
Occasional Advisor

@TerjeAFK wrote:

I don't know if there is a command to show such port history.

Link state changes are written to the switch log, so you can search for it there:

display logbuffer reverse | inc 2/0/2

Of course, if the port has been up for months then the log entries are probably overwritten. In that case, you could do logging to a syslog server and search there.

Thanks TerjeAFK.  I've tried that but the logbuffer only goes back a couple of days.  One thing I really need to know is which switchport interfaces have been down for a long time.  Like, say, more than 6 months.  Are there any stats I can get which would allow me to extrapolate this information ?  Surely there must be something.

--
Paul

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi,

show interface <if> link only works on some IOS platforms (for example Cisco 4500).

If you have a syslog server, you can enable logging on that and get the messages from there.

Otherwise I would start looking for some way to maybe extract the info using SNMP, havent looked into what MIB that info might be. Takes a bit of researching i reckon.

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
huddie
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I've discovered that our HP IMC monitoring server displays a Last Change field against each switchport interface.  This is a time stamp and seems to update when the link state changes.  I'm trying this and it looks good.

--
Paul

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Thats why you need a syslog-server which you will log to :-)

For example:

info-center source default channel 0 log state off trap state off
info-center source default channel 1 log state off trap state off
info-center source default channel 2 trap level informational debug level informational
info-center source default channel 4 trap level informational debug level informational
info-center loghost source LoopBack0
info-center loghost <IP OF SYSLOGSERVER>
info-center logbuffer size 1024
info-center trapbuffer size 1024
info-center synchronous
info-center timestamp loghost iso
undo info-center logfile enable