108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No routing via IRF?

SOLVED
Go to solution
GlenRB
Advisor

So being new to Comware, am I understanding this correctly that if a two switch IRF is to be configured, the recommend method is the Daisy Chain but for three or more switches, the Ring is the recommendation?

If that is true, what happens if you set up a two switch daisy chain then  want to add another switch to the IRF?

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Then you add the third switch
and then if you want to
1) continue a daisy (not recommended ) you connect it to either switch1 or switch2.
or
2) make a ring you add switch3 to switch1 AND switch2.

Nothing special happens - it works :)

A logical IRF port can consists of several physical ports, thats why in a two switch scenario a 2-daisy chain is at least as good as a 2-ring. As long as the 2daisy-IRF logical port consist of the same physical ports as a 2ring-IRF logical ports.
In a 3 switch scenario, this changes. Because if you daisy-chain 3 switches, and then center switch fails the two remaining switches loose contact, this is not the case with a ring.
Going from a 2-daisy-IRF to a 3-ring-IRF, is actually easier than going from a 2-ring-IRF to a 3-ring-IRF, if you look at the configuration.
Considering the above and also that not all Comware versions support 2-ring-IRFs - I'd go with a 2-daisy-IRF.
Regards.

S├╕ren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
parnassus
Honored Contributor

That's (also) related to this other @GlenRB post.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner