2555 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: S5120-52C-PWR-EI : Port poe off: underload state

ferdo
Advisor

S5120-52C-PWR-EI : Port poe off: underload state

Hi,

On my S5120-52C-PWR-EI, PoE ports fall with "Port poe off: underload state" message in the log,. What causes the crash of connected phones.
Can anyone tell me how to fix it.
Similarly, when I restart my S5120-52C-PWR-EI, connected phones fail to connect to the IPBX without disconnecting and reconnecting.
I need help please.

Regards

Ferdo

8 REPLIES 8
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

The "Underload State" message is probably a symptom of the problem, not its cause. You should probably look at the power device itself for the problem, as the switch is simply reporting on the power that device is drawing.

For your second question, you may need to provide more detail - are you saying that after you have rebooted the switch, the phones come back up unconnected and you have to do something manually for them to reconnect?

Perhaps you have the edge ports on auto admin edge but the uplink port comes up much slower?

ferdo
Advisor

Hi Vince_Whirlwind,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I do not quite understand what you said about my first question. Do you mean that my switch has no sufficient power?
When a port falls the LOG displays the following message:

GigabitEthernet1/0/12:  Port poe off: underload state ,rawstatus=0x1e.

I also did not quite understand your answer to the second question. I enable the spanning tree edged-port ( stp edged-port enable) on all ports connected to phones. Is this the cause ? Should I disable it ?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Ferdo

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

1/ No, I would interpret that as meaning the device was drawing less than the standard amount. Check your power budget just to make sure, though.

2/ You need the edged-port so that when a phone is disconnected/reconnected, it comes up quickly.

When you reboot the switch (which shouldn't happen very often - many switches should be able to run for years without reboots), the edge ports are coming up faster than the uplink port, so the phones can't communicate with their DHCP/provisioning server.

I just had a look in the 5120 command reference and I couldn't see an "uplink fast" option for this switch type, so for a reboot of the switch, you may be stuck with having to configure all the edge ports as down and then up again after you perform any reboot.

ferdo
Advisor

Hi Vince_Whirlwind

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

It depends what PoE class your Astra phones are.

Your 5120 has 370 Watts, which is enough for 48 Class I or Class II phones, or 24 Class III phones, unless you've added an RPS in which case you can have 48 Class III phones on it.

ferdo
Advisor

Hi Vince_Whirlwind

Thank you very much

Regards

Ferdo

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Sometimes even though a phone might be Class II, the switch will allocate Class III power to it, eating up too much of your power budget.

You can force a port's poe settings to a particular class if that happens.

liorski
Occasional Visitor

Sir I have a problem with the HP SWITCH S120. When I turn on the switch it automatically off. Can I have a solution for my problem?

Thank you very much