1748140 Members
3576 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: assign virtual ip to vsr

DeepakAshwath
Advisor

assign virtual ip to vsr

we have a vsr1000 and we are trying to assign a virtual ip to a Gigabit interface.

The Gigabit interface has connectivity and when assigned a IP it works and when we try to assigning a virtual-ip using the below command

Gigabit Interface1/5 # ip address 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x ---> it works and is active

Gigabit Interface1/5 # vrrp vrid 30 virtual-ip 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x -----> does not work <are we missing any config>

the virtual ip is not active and doesnt ping, the ip given is of the same vlan given to the gigabit interface.

thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

DO you have any other VRRP configured on this router?

Have you configued a VRRP mode on the interface?

Have you tried using a VRRP group number between 1 to 8 instead of 30?

DeepakAshwath
Advisor

THanks Vince for the reply.

We are trying to configure only 1 vrrp.

Yes vrrp mode on GigabitEthernet Interface 1/5

Not yet tried between 1 to 8, will try it though.

DeepakAshwath
Advisor

I have not configured vrrp mode on the interface, please tell if any config is missing.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

You have to configure vrrp mode on the interface.

I think "undo vrrp mode" on the interface is an option.

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

VRRP is used for redundancy where you have 2 or more boxes sharing an ip (while they at the same time still have their own physical ip's).

Reading the thread I think the OP wants to setup a vlan-interface and assign that to a specific physical interface, am I correct?

DeepakAshwath
Advisor

Thanks Apachez.

Thanks Vince.

Yes we have 2 VSRs and both interfaces 1/0 have physical IPs, but when I am giving a shared IP using vrrp. The shared IP does not seem to work.

VSR1

Gigabit Interface1/5 # ip address 10.10.10.5 255.x.x.x ---> it works and is active

Gigabit Interface1/5 # vrrp vrid 30 virtual-ip 10.10.10.254 255.x.x.x -----> does not work

VSR2

Gigabit Interface1/5 # ip address 10.10.10.6 255.x.x.x ---> it works and is active

Gigabit Interface1/5 # vrrp vrid 30 virtual-ip 10.10.10.254 255.x.x.x -----> does not work

10.10.10.254 is the shared IP

vrrp mode did not help much, even though we did vrrp mode load-balance.

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

According to the manual (look at page 20 for example) something like this should work for you:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03937361

VSR1

Gigabit Interface1/5 # ip address 10.10.10.5 255.255.255.0

Gigabit Interface1/5 # vrrp vrid 1 virtual-ip 10.10.10.254

VSR2

Gigabit Interface1/5 # ip address 10.10.10.6 255.255.255.0

Gigabit Interface1/5 # vrrp vrid 1 virtual-ip 10.10.10.254

And then verify configuration with:

display vrrp verbose

Also its recommended to apply authentication and consider use of loadbalance and/or preemption (see the manual for more information on that).

Also make sure you have L2-connectivity between gig int 1/5 of both boxes (so the VRRP can see and communicate with the other part).