1751695 Members
4645 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Database Related

Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

memory was 1 GB and swap 2 GB, later i increased the swap to 3 GB.
never give up
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
There are a few things, that you can do.
Make an analysis, how much of the SGA of each database is really used.
After this decide, whether you can reduce the SGA size by lowering the database buffers, the shared poolsize or something else.
Do this database by database.
If you cannot reduce the size, then you have to decide, whether you need performance or not.
if you need performance, try to get another 2 GB of RAM, otherwise enhance your swap space.
Just my 2 ct
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Faizer Jameel
Frequent Advisor

Gentlemen,
Thankyou for the time that you all ahve spent on this issue. Definitely all suggestions are very valuable and have been taken into account.
This has also given me an indepth knowledge on this matter.

The resolution I tried was quite simple. I shutdown the server[ poweroff] and restarted, after that I was able to bring up all my instances without any problems.

Once again Thankyou everyone.

Hello,

Just an additionnal comment.
As you are using 32 bits Oracle you are obviously facing the 1.75 Gb limit, which in fact means two limits :
- The total size of shared memory used
- The fragmentation of the memory

If the issue has been solved by rebooting the system it is possible you faced the second issue.
With Hp-ux 11.0 you have no best_fit policy for memory allocation, so the situation can degrade with time.

You should check the memory allocation with tool like shminfo which display a detailed map of the available shared memory in the 1.0 and 0.75 quadrant. shminfo is a usefull but unsupported tool you can get from HP support.