Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on oracle installation location...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

Help on oracle installation location...

Hi, we have 2 rp3440 servers which we want to use with oracle 9i and Service Guard (no 9i,RAC, but traditional SG failover). We don't want an active-passive cluster, so we want to have an installation in each server, each of then running several instances.
That means we must install the 2 servers in a way such that a single server can carry the two installations, and all the instances.

The layout I'm thinking about is this:

Install oracle in server A at,say, /oraroot/homeA, and in server B at /oraroot/homeB, and define ony 1 oracle user.

Everything under /oraroot/homeA would be in a SG package (A), and everything under /oraroot/homeB would be in another one (B). Package A would normally run in one server and B in the other.

But we have then the problem of the listener, as in some moment both listener should be able to run in the same server, I must define different listen ports for each installation. That's not a big problem.

Data would be in other directories (say /oradata/, , , and so on, and would be moved along with the package by the cluster manager.

This layout has nothing to be with OFA, but I don't think this should be a problem.

What do you think about this layout? Have you a hardware configuration and needs like ours? Could you suggest me a better layout or way to configure the installation?

Thank you very much in advance.
3 REPLIES
Roberto Martinez_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Help on oracle installation location...

Another question: is there any oracle installation file which rests outside the installation (apart from /etc/oratab)?
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: Help on oracle installation location...

There is a little bit of stuff in /var/opt/oracle too... it's pretty static though... even more than your oracle home. It is a set of file that tell the (Oracle) installer where your ORACLE_HOME's are.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett