108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IO error writing block to file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Man Dinh
Occasional Visitor

IO error writing block to file

We're running Oracle 9.2.0.6 on HP-UX B.11.11. We've been finding the following errors in the Oracle alert log:

Errors in file /oracle/PRD/saptrace/usertrace/prd_ora_27240.trc:
ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 1025 (block # 137225)
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
Additional information: 137225

Here's the "ls -l" of the the file:
-rw-rw---- 1 oraprd dba 117089131 Jan 25 03:41 /oracle/PRD/saptrace/usertrace/prd_ora_27240.trc

Here's what bdf shows:
8388608 7537800 824600 90% /oracle/PRD

I've searched both Oracle and HP sites, but could not find anything related. I'd appreciate your input/opinion on the cause and any pointers on how to go about rectifying this condition.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

hello Man Dinh.

It appears to be disk related, maybe one of your harddisk is failing or about to fail. Check /var/adm/syslog.log, and also run
dmesg command, and see if there is any trouble with your hardware, also run an
ioscan -fnC disk.

I also found this.
ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file string (block # string)
Cause: The device on which the file resides is probably offline. If the file is a temporary file, then it is also possible that the device has run out of space. This could happen because disk space of temporary files is not necessarily allocated at file creation time.
Action: Restore access to the device or remove unnecessary files to free up space.

And check this site for more info.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Oracle/Q_20075060.html
Knowledge is power.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
normally there is a OS error code associated shown.

In your case I would guess, either at a faulty block on the disk, a temporary full file system or a full tablespace/temp datafile.

Please check via:
select * from v$tablespace;
select * from dba_temp_files;
select * from dba_data_files;

Please also read:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33 on how to reward any useful answers given to your questions.

Man Dinh
Occasional Visitor

Fabian & Peter: Thank you for your prompt responses. I should have first checked /var/adm/syslog as Fabian suggested. It was "file system full" error - The temp table filespace filled up (You're right, Peter).

The problem is solved. I have assigned points to both of you. Thanks again Fabian and Peter.

Sincerely,
Man Dinh
Man Dinh
Occasional Visitor

Expand filesystem.