Operating System - HP-UX
1752777 Members
5936 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to store and display the Trademark Symbol in Oracle/HP-UX? May need to change hosts.

SOLVED
Go to solution
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to store and display the Trademark Symbol in Oracle/HP-UX? May need to change hosts.

Thanks to Wodisch we have "xfd"

xfd -fn asyma16

will show all of the symbols:

trademark - copyright - registered - and a lot more!

and

xlsfonts will show all of the fonts available. If you use any fonts with imbedded spaces but the font string in quotes.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You have about 60 posts that you haven't responded to:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/TopSolutions/1,,CA333920!1!questions,00.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

In reponse to: "What does displaying the symbols at a shell prompt have to do with being able to store them in Oracle or display them from an application? "

If I can display the symbol with a shell prompt or xfd, then I should be able to create and display the synbol while I'm in sqlplus or an Motif application. This was my thinking. What other method is there to see the symbol? The symbol I'm missing is the Trademark symbol.

I'm pretty sure I need a different default LANG value. Just don't know how to go about getting the character set that has the symbol.

Sorry for being a pain, this is a pretty big issue until I can get it resolved.

jack..

Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

This is what I get when I execute xfd -fn asyma16

[8155]root@cordayop:/root # xfd -fn asyma16
Warning: Actions not found: Quit, Next, Prev
Warning: Cannot convert string "asyma16" to type FontStruct
xfd: no font to display

I've posted the problem on the Oracle web forum also. Haven't checked for replys yet.

Jack...
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

so you will have to use an X-Windows Font Server (xfs) on the system where you try to display that character.
On any HP-UX 10.20 or 11.x system edit your "/etc/rc.config.d/xfs" and change the "=0" in the last line to "=1".
Then start the daemon with "/sbin/init.d/xfs start".
Now make your X-session use it with "xset fp+ TCP/your-HPUX-host:7000", where "your-HPUX-host" would be the hostname or IP-address of the station running that "xfs"!
Now list the fonts you can use there with "xlsfonts" and use "xfd" to find one containing the characters you need.
Then use that font for your application like I described in my first reply.
If you need to enter these characters from the command-line, you will have to use a different shell, like "/usr/old/bin/sh" and enable 8bit characters with "stty -istrip cs8"...
On my system e.g. the font "-adobe-symbol-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-p-107-adobe-fontspecific" does include the "TM" symbol at position 212...

HTH,
Wodisch
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Great help, I think we're getting closer. My delimma is there are well over 8,700 fonts listed by running xlsfonts. I followed your guidance and was able to see the trademark symbols. I didn't see the rest of the alphabet, however.

Can you think of a character set / font combination that contains all the standard characters along with the copyright, trademark and registered symbols?

Once I find a usuable character set, I'll then need to see about doing inserts and updates in an Oracle database.

I really appreciate your feedback.

jack...

Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Here's the latest feedback I got from Oracle...

1) The trademark symbol is supported by WE8MSWIN1252, UTF8 characterset. For the complete list of the characterset which support trademark symbol, please refer to NOTE:121261.1.

2) We will recommend you to migrate to UTF8 characterset. But it is a multibyte character set and it may be difficult to configure Motif to support it. This would be a task for HP support.

3) you can use alter database character set command to migrate to UTF8 ( I am assuming that your currect database character set is US7ASCII). If your database characterset is different then let us know.

3) the NLS_LANG needs to set to UTF8.

4) since Oracle7 doesnot support multibyte characterset, you have to upgrade database to Oacle8i or higher version. It is recommended to have latest patchset applied on the database.

From reading the reply it looks like I'll need to configure UNIX and Oracle to use the UTF-8 character set. The next major hurdle will be figuring out how to configure MOTIF to use the UTF-8 characterset.

I'm now off reading the forums to try to figure out how to configure HP-UX for the UTF-8 characterset.

Wodisch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi again,

OSF/Motif does not have a problem there, as "Motif Strings" (="Compound String") do have an attribute for the character set per so-called "segment" (which can be any string of characters).
Your application will have the problem, as it has to specify the parts of the compound string.
Read the man pages for "XmFontListCreate(3)" and "XmString(3)" and "XmStringCreate(3)" for the details.

To create your own font you'll need the commands "fstobdf" and a configured X11 Font Server (=fs) to convert an existing one form the font server into the old BDF format. Then you would have to edit that (as it is text), and compile it back into the new PCF format with "bdftopcf" and install it into your font server...

Regards,
Wodisch