1752780 Members
6156 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9i

Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Oracle 9i

I am installing Oracle 9i on an HP9000 L2000 system running HP-UX 11.i. As part of the installation a database is created. This ran for 3hrs and was making no progress. I TCs and submitted the memory dump and basically the system was frantically paging memory. We could not even 'ping' the system. We are installing the 64bit version of Oracle 9i. On creating a samplae database it still seems very slow.
The system has 512Mb of memory.
12 REPLIES 12
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HPUX 11i + Oracle 9i 64bit with 512MB RAM? might be nice as a development server, but I would plug in a few more GBs if you plan to have some users on this system: Oracle requires memory, lots of it;

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

512Mb of RAM is very low for an Oracle database server. What do Oracle recommend for 9i ? I think its more than 512Mb.

Have you got sufficient device swap setup ? (at least 512Mb).
What is your buffer cache set to ? (sysdef | grep dbc) With so little memory you should set dbc_min_pct to 0 and dbc_max_pct to 2.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Check the Oracle Installation guide in Oracle Technet.

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/content.html

I can only suggest the same thing as the others. Add some more memory to your server.
You will also have to change some kernel parameters to get Oracle running.
Check it in the Oracle documentation.
Did you receive the CD set ?
There should be one cd with the complete documentation as well.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Fukerider

Hello,
I can confirm the memory issue. I did successfully install Oracle 9.0.1 on my L3000 (3GB Mem, HP-UX 11i Server). When I tried to do the same on my B2000 (512 MB Mem, HP-UX 11i Workstation) I got the same behaviour even after I configured 2GB additional filesystem swap. Glance told me, the system ran out of available memory. I added another 512MB on the B2000 and was able to install.
This means, that the Java Oracle Installer itself needs at least 512MB mem.
H.F.
Peter Kloetgen
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rothery,

first of all to say, you definetely need more RAM to get this to work properly. Also think over some kernel parameters. Here some, which you should look for....

- swapmem_on = 1
- shmmax = (1024*1024*1024)

- dbc_max_pct <= 25
- shmmni > 500
- semmns > 500
- semmns > 2000
- nfile > 4000
- nproc > 1000
- nkthreads > 4000
- maxfiles > 100
- maxuproc > 500
- max_thread_proc > 256

Oracle "init*ora" values:

db_block_size >= 8192
db_block_buffers >= 100000
db_files >= 100
shared_pool_size >= 100MB
log_buffer_size >= 512KB
sort_area_size >= 4MB
sort_area_retained_size >= 1MB
sessions >= 100
processes >= 100
dml_locks >= 1000
db_block_size * db_file_multiblock_read_count = 64KB
log_archive_start = true

This is *not* the correct configuration for each environment, just some advice where to look for.

Allways stay on the bright side of life!

Peter
I'm learning here as well as helping
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

HI,

512 MB is sufficient for oracle, Have you set the kernel parameters before starting the installation.

check at this URL:
http://docs.oracle.com/HTML_Storage/a90357/toc.htm
never give up
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

During your installation the option of creating a database can be neglected.
The database creation during that time has a lot of options like the Jserver,etc which takes a long time and consumes lot of memory.Also the Oracle installtion process itself uses more memory.
THe best would be to cancel the creation of database and create it using the command line using the create database method on svrmgrl prompt.
Else also you can avoid certain options when you are creating the database when you are using the GUI method during installation.
You can see these options during,
when you run the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbassist
to create the database.
The best one is to stop creation of sample database during installation.

THanks
Neil Harris
Regular Advisor

We are running 9i on a 2000 with no problems its does though have 3Gbytes of ram in it. T G Manikandan sugest using svrmgrl to create a database, "big shock!" svrmgrl does not exist in 9i.
To get its functonality which is much reduced you use sqlplus look on metalink for details. Oracle are now expecting you to use OEM for database management. I do though support his idea of delaying dbase creation till after the install. The prefered method in 9i is to use the database creation assistant. Also I know its a pain in the neck but have you worked completely through the installation guide. 9i has a great expectation that the platform is properly set up before installing it. Particularly the HPUX tuneable parameters using the pre defined dbase ones is no use.
An inveterate hacker
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone. We have no ordered 1GB more memory.

Rothery