New Discussion юеВ

Oracle installation doubts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trenta Angelo
Contributor

Oracle installation doubts

Hi all

I have some problems about our Oracle installation, which was made in past, and you can find details in attachement.

Regards, Angelo
I will work harder, HP-UX is always right
3 REPLIES 3
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle installation doubts

Its typical to have an admin directory with subdirectories for each instance. Within those directories, you have pfiles, bdump, udump, cdump. The pfiles directory contains the parameter files for the instance (similar to ini files for Windows). The *dump directory contains trace and log files for the instance. The alert log is typically in bdump which also contains traces relating to the instance as a whole. The udump contains trace files for user processes. I forget what the cdump is used for, but it also contains trace files. The alter log records all startup/shutdown and major database changes. The trace files are usually generated in the event of an error/warning. Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi there.
This is suggested by Oracle support.
You should separate the files for the different instances. If you try to fix errors
and you cannot find, which file is really meant, you are in a bit of trouble.
Your admin dir is ok so far.
The directories ending on dump contain logfiles. Most important is bdump for alert_${ORACLE_SID}.log, where you can find everything going on in the database ( log changes, errors, shutdown, startup etc. ).
pdump is containg trace files from process dumps ( dbwriter, smon ( system monitor ), pmon ( process monitor ) and so on.
Pfile should contain init_xy.ora for the instance and the config.ora file.
create is the place for the scripts, which you use to create a database. udump is for user trace files. If you find FIRENZE within genesys it is possible, that this is a second instance for the same database. If not, you should separate FIRENZE from GENESYS.
For more questions contact me at alexander_ermes@web.de

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

hi,

The basic thing needed for the oracle install is a filesystem with enough space under it. For eg: if we have more than
one version of oracle to support on the box:
it would /opt/oracle/8.1.6
/opt/oracle/8.1.7

Each having different sizes and preferably
filesystems. As far as instances are concerned, the structure under these filesystems automatically get created during install and subsequent tuning by the DBA.

-raj
Take it easy.