1748233 Members
3474 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle with Service Guard

Rpger Tavener
Occasional Advisor

Oracle with Service Guard

We have a 2 node Service Guard Cluster. We want to run one Oracle package, pkgA on Server A, and the other package, PkgB on Server B. with the ability to fail over either package to either server. What's the best way to configure the listener and tnsnames for Oracle?

Thanks for your input !!
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail!
4 REPLIES 4
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle with Service Guard

What I do is to have a separate listener for each package which is bound to the package IP address. Package A startup starts database A and listener A etc.

Tnsnames justs references the relevant package IP address and SID.

Both tnsnames.ora and listener.ora are identical on both servers. I keep them in /etc. You do have to remember to keep them the same on both servers though.

Let me know if you need any more info...

Regards,
John
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi,

As john said, you need to do the following :

1. Configer your cluster to run both nodes A and B.
2. Configer pkgA so that it will have primary node as node A and Alternate node as node B.
3. Configer pkgB so that it will have primary node as node B and Alternate node as node A.
4. Configer within pkgA listener LISTENER_A accessing oracle db1 on package pkgA.
5. Configer within pkgB listener LISTENER_B accessing oracle db2 on package pkgB.

This will allow you to have db1 running and clients could access it on node A ( respectively node B if node A comes down ).
And will allow you also to have db2 running and clients could access it on node B ( respectively node A if node B comes down ).

Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi again,

each package will be responsible to run one listener ( pkgA(LISTENER_A) and pkgB(LISTENER_B) ).

the file tnsnames.ora MUST be identical on both nodes A and B.
Rpger Tavener
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone for your quick response!
I appreciate your help...

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail!