1. Number of Database dropped
2. Number of Database created
3. Configuration details

13 REPLIES 13
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Re: Pass ur comments

Hi,

Referring to oracle: someone is playing too much with databases, they aren't created so easily every day and then dropped

Referring to MSSqlserver: again as upper, but i know that in MS this misuse is more widespread.

In general...

Looks like someone is trying to determine a reference for billing, but i would use number of tables dropped/created, instead of databases. The configuration detail could be for detemining the resource needed.

But honestly is very obscure.

My finally inference is: "Someone has drunk without me :)"

Massimo
Radim Jarosek
Regular Advisor

Hi,

could you be more specific ?

Radim
twang
Honored Contributor

Drop database: My previous experience on this is to handle Block Corruptions.

Recreate database:
If you are creating a second database, be sure to use a new database name.

Configuration details: How to Configure the Database with SSL Using a DN Certificate.
Configure the Oracle Database Configuration Files (listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora)

prem_4
Occasional Advisor

hi radim,

just tell me what u feel or how u infer when look at the following values:

1. Number of tables/database dropped
2. Number of tables/database created
3. Most queried table
4. Most used database
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
now it has more sense.

You are searching for a set/subset of performance indicator, for a server or for a specific database (most queried tables) ?

Massimo
twang
Honored Contributor

In addition, for Most queried table
- Oracle introduced a facility in release 8i to monitor table modifications. This facility can be enabled using the ALTER TABLE MONITORING command. The approximate number of rows updated, inserted to, and deleted from each monitored table is counted. The modification counts are maintained in a special data structure in the SGA and flushed to a table in the data dictionary by SMON periodically (every 3 hours under release 8.1) and at instance shutdown. The DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS view can be queried to see these modification counts.
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Twang, i think he/she refers to Mysql, looking at the other question posted.

Am I right ?
Massimo
prem_4
Occasional Advisor

hi Bianchi,
U are right! i am presently working with MySql, but i want the comments to be more general; the way an end-user may infer it!

To be very precise in what way does these values help an administrator or any other person who manages the database.
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
asking here for end-user opinion is a little controverse.

I think a few of us are "end user", most are admins, with a logic that is sometimes totally different.

The number you proposed can help in understand what are the tables/databases most used, and so the ones that need:

- more attention from sysadmins
- more tuning
- more hardware if load is growing

If you are looking for inter-database performance indicators, then it is another question.

I can talk about Oracle, but i don't know enough others databases to tell the crucial points, or even the proper terminology.

Massimo