3376 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with Betrive

mvr
Regular Advisor

Problem with Betrive

Hello,

I have unusual problem. We use software named "ATTANDANCE PRO" that is running on a betrieve type database. I have been asked to move this database from Novell server to the Samba (CIFS) share on HP-UX11i. I have created share in smb.conf (see attached file).
However, when user try to access the data from the local machine (Win2000Pro), they are getting the Betrieve 20 error massage. If I add user to the ntadmin group (see attached file) they are connecting with no problem.
Any suggestion will be appreciate.

Miro
11 REPLIES 11
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Is there a NT domain onsite? or do the user's just logon locally to there Win2K boxes?

If there is a domain, why not use it to authentcate users?

I do that like this:

[global]
workgroup = $MYDOMAIN
netbios name = SERVER3
netbios aliases = CATCH
security = SERVER
encrypt passwords = Yes
password server = ntserver1, ntserver2, ntserver3
username map = /etc/opt/samba/username.map
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%m
max log size = 10000
keepalive = 0
load printers = No
show add printer wizard = No
preferred master = No
domain master = No
wins server = 192.168.2.1
valid users = gwild, etc
read only = No
create mask = 0664
force create mode = 0664
directory mask = 0775
short preserve case = No
dos filetime resolution = Yes

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
mvr
Regular Advisor

Thank you for reply.
I'm sorry for not giving you better information, but we do have domain set up (see attached file). That where the problem is because if the user is not member of "domain admin group = @ntadmin" and just a member of "valid users = @timeclk" (again see attached file), the user is getting brieve error.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Does Betrive need to write to /tmp?

Maybe explicitly add @timeclk to
[tmp] share? and or [netlogon]?

As far as my first post - what I meant to say is - is there a "real" NT server running - not just the PDC on your CIFS HP-UX box.

Rgds...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
mvr
Regular Advisor

Thank you again for responed.
I have tryed what you sugested, but it did not work.
We do have a couple windows servers, but they are not a members of domain.We are using SAMBA server as a PDC.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Ok, are there any errors in the samba logs?

Check in /var/opt/samba/

There has to be something that Betrive is trying to do where only ntadmin has access....

Rgds...Geoff
Jim Butler
Valued Contributor

make sure their gids on unix match the gid number on NT
Man The Bilge Pumps!
Jim Butler
Valued Contributor

If you do not match the group ID number for number across samba, you get this type of problem

good luck
Man The Bilge Pumps!
mvr
Regular Advisor

Could you explain a bit more what do you mean when you saying theat GID on unix and GID on windows need to mech. Do I have to have same group with the same members in windows as well?
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

GID is the group ID which is a numerical value which cross refences to a alphanumeric name for a group. eg myusers may have a group id = 40 . The GID is what programs use not the descriptive name and you need to have the same GID on both the NT and the UNIX end to sync :-)

John.