5111 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restore whole database from RMAN

file system
Frequent Advisor

Restore whole database from RMAN

Hi experts.
I'm going to restore database to another server.
can you tell me which procedure should be made before doing that.?

First ,
I'm going to restore oracle engine to another server by using backup sw.

and I'm going to restore datafiles, controlfiles, spfile backuped up using RMAN
in previous server.

How can I setup to recognize datafiles backuped up by RMAN in previous server.?

and you can tell me other procedures that I'm going to miss my procedure.

2 REPLIES 2
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Restore whole database from RMAN

hi,

it is all documented. Please see the url below where all steps have been properly explained:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm#1006329

hope this helps!
kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

Re: Restore whole database from RMAN

Restoring a database using RMAN is a tricky procedure; RMAN is complicated and very user unfriendly. Yogeeraj gave a good reference to review on the Oracle web site. A few points:

1) the backup software -- including the Oracle agent used by RMAN -- must be set up and configured on the new server so that RMAN can perform the restore

2) make sure that the new server is compatible hardware and OS. If you recover the Oracle software from backup, it may still be necessary to relink if there are patch level differences. If they are different architecture -- eg, Itanium vs PA-RISC, you need to re-install Oracle, because it is a different build between platorms. Even then it may not work; I'm not sure if a cross-platform restore is even possible.

3) The new server should have an identical file system layout to the original server. It is possible to do an RMAN restore that renames datafiles, but this makes things even more complex. This can also cause problems with archive logs for the recovery.

4) You will need to restore the pfile/spfile from a standard file-based backup, this is not backed up by RMAN. You might be able to re-build it from scratch; the key parameters are the db_block_size and the dbname. Most everything else is resource allocation.

5) You somehow need to have a copy of the control files.

a) If your RMAN backup was made using a recovery catalog, then you only need the spfile. Restore the spfile, do a startup nomount, and then RMAN can recover the control files for you.

b) If your RMAN backup was NOT using a recovery catalog, you need to have a copy of the control file from the original server. Then you would do a 'startup mount', and let RMAN recover the database.

c) If you don't have a copy of the control file, you can't recover the database.

These are a few very brief points about an RMAN restore. I hope this helps.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing