Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Databases
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ServiceGuard / OracleRAC database monitoring

Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

ServiceGuard / OracleRAC database monitoring

Hello, we are running an Oracle 10g R2 OracleRAC database. From ServiceGurd, I am monitoring the datbase with command "srvctl status instance -d $DATABASE -i $INSTANCE".
Now I notice that this command launches a java process ($ORALE_HOME/jdk/jre/bin/IA64N/java) and that this java process consumes a significant amount of CPU.
Is anyone of you running any database monitoring (from ServiceGuard or somewhere else) and what commands do you use ?
3 REPLIES
Warren_9
Honored Contributor

Re: ServiceGuard / OracleRAC database monitoring

hi,

i think you could monitor the oracle processes such as pmon,smon,lgwr..etc

the monitor script can be found in the SG ETK.

GOOD LUCK!!

Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Hi,

One you can do ps -ef |grep pmon |wc -l
if the no of line is less than 1, when alert,

but this is fine from SA side,

but it is better from DBA side to check the DB by log-in, ask your DBAs to give a sql to do this. That will check DB, Listener etc.

Chan
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Oracle has some "nice" status-check features within the software, like "srvctl status database" and (if you run clusterware) crs_stat.
Only, these commands use too much CPU-resources for frequent scanning of the database status.
I reverted back to my old scanning method that I used on my Oracle 9i databases : Get the PID's of the database processes and monitor the existance of those processes (kill -s 0).