5455 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: help! performance issue

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

I'm pretty sure that your issue is bad SQL code in those views so this is where your battle must be fighting!

Yesterday for example I had a little code executing for more than 3 minutes to get 1 record. I've changed the logic and now it runs in 1 or 2 seconds...

First of all, in your Production environment, execute directly the SQL code of one of those views WITHOUT SORTING and post here your feedback about performance: if it is much better then the sorts are your problem. Check why most sorts are simply wasting resources in this thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=979701

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

Dave,

You mention lots of disk sorts - how large is your sort_area_size, and do you have enough memory to increase it?

You may never be able to explain why it got worse, but looking at the execution plan of some of the top queries may help you to correct them.

If TEMP is on one disk - is it possible to spread it to more disks?

Patti
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

A couple thoughts. It might take awhile for the excution plans an cache to get set.

Might consider building the indexes in a different tables space/disk location. Or check to make sure that you rebuid the index in their orginal location.

Rory
There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

no Information to really work on.
Could you attach at least the view definition (CREATE VIEW ...) if no EXPLAIN for the access plan is currently available ?

Best regards
Volker
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

thanks for your replies. I think that Steve may have had the answer with Library cache, since that database was not bounced after the views changed. Since the change I increased the sort_area_size from 65K to 1M and increased sort_multiblock_read_count to reduce sort problems. So far this has helped considerably. I also will change optimizer_index_caching and optimizer_index_cost_adj to see if I can make indexes more attractive.