108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: optimize performance during oracle11i upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the comments - I don't mind the extra comments Eric et al - after all this IS a forum for discussion and
I like to see the different sides of issues). BTW - in the 11i upgrade, even though all tablespaces other than system are converted to local extent management - existing structures are NOT rebuilt (at least under the existing OFA model) - so fragmentation can still be an issue. IMHO - I think the real issue in space management for us (OLTP db) is archiving old data - instead of dragging around boatloads of data that will never see the light of day...

On my current upgrade test, I did increase the block buffers (now db_cache_size) from 1GB to 5GB. I also increased redo log size to 250M and increased log_buffer from 4M to 30M. Everything went great until the phase that processes orders (ontup231) - and it was crawling MUCH slower than in prev runs. Found out that my associates decided to try this upgrade without closing any orders - which we have done in all prev tests. I looked at what was taking so long - about 12GB of stuff had been inserted into 2 workflow tables and their indexes (and this phase was only half done). We killed the upgrade, restored backup and we are doing it over correctly. Exciting eh? At least this time I expect to see the tuning pay off...:)
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Dave, thanks for the response on how the upgrade is going. I agree with your posting about archiving as I'm working on that very topic this week. Good luck with the upgrades, and in trying to keep the testing team consistent (on closes).

Also, Yogeeraj, I agree with the using LMT with uniform spacing - I converted to it many years back, and enjoy it. In regards to Dave's comment about not doing it for past data - we ran across the same thing. I fixed all of that when we first went to database version 9i, and did a full import of everything onto LMT uniform tables for all tablespaces. And yes, we don't worry about fragmentation nearly as much anymore.

Good luck,

John
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Dave,

if you already know your "big-brother-tables", that cause trouble for conversion, did you consider to increase parallel-degree on these prior conversion.

Since a "conversion" usually needs to read all data of a table, a full table scan should be the plan of choice (well mostly), and in this case it can be more speedy when doing it with parallel query. It would be of help, if you could track down the statements that are operated in these phases, although I am not sure if it is permitted to runs some statspack or SQL-Trace while this one is on the way.
(And check then documentation in addition, if PQ [parallel query] is permitted in this conversion, not sure about this)

alter table .... parallel 8;

will use 8 PQ procs doing the FTS.
This scales almost linear up to several GB tablesize.

I use it often to create secondary indexes on big tables (
CREATE INDEX ... parallel 24
alter index ... noparallel
).

Needs some parameters
parallel_max_servers...
parallel_threads_per_cpu...
and may be some more, which I do not have handy right now.

Check it out:

set timing on

select count(*)
from bigtable;

-- run it twice to be fair for caching

select /*+ parallel (bigtable, 8) */ count(*)
from bigtable;

-- run it twice as well (caching) an check
-- "ps -ef | grep ora_p" while running
-- to see PQ-procs showing up

If this gives you significant speedup, set the parallel_degree of the table in question. Be carefull, setting 3 tables to "parallel 8" might need 24 PQ-procs when they are operated at the same time, which has additional impact on need for TEMP and UNDO, so be sure to be single in conversion or otherwise try to use a lower value.

Check old degree value before (column degree in dba_tables / dba_indexes) and reset afterwards or set "noparallel".

Volker