108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle 10g and ASM

SOLVED
Go to solution
rubyee_red

oracle 10g and ASM

Hi there ,

We have installed oracle 10g using ASM(automated storage manager ) on Hpux 11i. ASM requires that we give ownership to the raw disk files to the oracle user. So I did a chown oracle on all the raw disk device files used for ASM. This worked fine for a while.

But the problem started when I added new SAN disks for ASM and kicked of an insf -eC disk on the server , when all the disk device files got regenerated and the raw disk files now got owned by bin:sys and due to this the database instance hangs , as oracle lost ownership to the /dev/rdsk/cxtxdx files.

I tried setting ACLS on the device files but the ACLS don't hold , when i regenerate disk device files.

Anbody have any suggestions or ideas ?

Thanks for ur help
Rubyee
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Don't use "-e" option. It recreates ALL the files. Without it only new devices will be generated.

Alex.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
rubyee_red

Thanks Alex ..u r right ..my bad.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi rubyee,

You may also use the ASM_DISKSTRING to limit what Oracle is allowed to see.

It is recommended to create soft links so that you can easily move the disk devices around more easily.

e.g.
mkdir /dev/asm
ln -s /dev/dsk/c1t1d0 /dev/asm/disk1
ln -s /dev/dsk/c1t1d1 /dev/asm/disk2

ASM_DISKSTRING=/dev/asm

I can't find the white paper which contains all the recommendation. If you have metalink access, please check for it.

hope this helps too!

kind regards
yogeera
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Rubyee

the white papers for ASM can be found on OTN :
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/index.html

as mentioned, use asm_diskstring to limit the pool of disks available to ASM.

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux