1753544 Members
5663 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remote root file system

Mark Stewart
Frequent Advisor

remote root file system

Hello! I am trying to create and mount a remote filesystem that is the root directory of the remote system. The root directory on the remote system keeps denying me permission to access it in this way. I know this can be done, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Are you sure you want to do this? This would mean that you'd have to export the root filesystem from the remote machine...this is very big security risk.

Nonetheless, if you still persist on doing this, you'd have to set up /etc/exports on the remote system to export / -access=
then exportfs -a

Then back on this machine, mount :/ /

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you already know that this is a big risk you are taking of exporting a root directory and mounting it elsewhere. Well, you are the one who is making the choice.

To export, you can use SAM
SAM --> Networking and Communication ---> Netowrk File system --> Exported Local File systems

The list will show the file system currently being exported. To add root to this,

Select Action from the top bar --> Add Exported file system --> In the next menu, select the directory to export and the options you want. select apply and you are done.

Now you can mount this on the client using "mount" command. use man for more info.

Do remember that you should enable the remote server as NFS server and the client on which you want to mount this remote filesystem as NFS client. Here is a thread about how you can enable the NFS Server and client capability.

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1031-90048/B1031-90048_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1031-90048/00/00/6-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1031-90048/00/00/6-toc.html&searchterms=NFS%20SErver&queryid=20010920-121018

Hope this helps.

thanks

P.S: If you are still having problem. Post the error you are getting.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You did not indicate whether you were logged in as root or an ordinary user on the client machine. For security reasons, root is NEVER given root privileges on an NFS filesystem. The user ID for root as seen by the NFS filesystem is -2 also known as nobody (look in the passwd file).

If you really want to gain root access to the remote filesystem, the remote server must add root privileges in the /etc/exports file. See man exports. Once changed, use exportfs -a to change the settings. Now root on your local system will have unlimited privileges for the NFS imported filesystem.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
include in the /etc/exports file of the NFS server as
/ root=.
By default when a user logs in into the remote mahcine he is assigned the 'nobody' user permissions.
Thanks
G Manikandan