Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xhost

SOLVED
Go to solution

xhost

I have an application on my server that need "xhost +" to be executed from the console to run well. How i can make my "xhost +" to start as the system boot?
6 REPLIES
Rainer_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: xhost

to generally turn off access control create the file

/etc/X0.hosts

with the contents

+

This will allow any host to have acces to the X server.

See also 'man xhost'
Albert E. Whale, CISSP
Honored Contributor

Jasmine,

The simplest place to put this command is in the /etc/inittab file. You can use the following syntax:

xhst:234:once:/usr/bin/X11/xhost +

Have a Great Day!
Sr. Systems Consultant @ ABS Computer Technology, Inc. http://www.abs-comptech.com/aewhale.html & http://www.ancegroup.com
Manuel Plaza
Regular Advisor

Hi Jasmin,
You can use /etc/X0.hosts. This is an ASCII file that contains the hostnames autorized to use the X display. You must have the name of your server and so is not necesssary to use the "xhost +" command.
Regard,
Manuel
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Hi Jasmine:

do a man on Xserver. It says in there that you should create a /etc/Xn.hosts where n is the display number (eg. 0) and place in there, the addresses of the hosts to allow... I am guessing if you

# echo "+" >> /etc/X0.hosts

it should do what you want.
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Kenneth Platz
Esteemed Contributor

Jasmin,

Unfortunately Rainer is incorrect. The /etc/X0.hosts file should be a list of hosts that are automatically granted access to the X server. Also, since the X server will attempt to ping every host in this file during initialization, if any host in here is not a valid hostname (including the "+" character) this will instead create a situation where the X server will fail to completely initialise, and you will most likely end up with a black screen.

The easiest way of completely disabling access control on your X server (ie, the equivalent of doing an "xhost +" at the console) would be to add the "-ac" command-line option to the "/usr/bin/X11/X" command-line. If your system uses CDE, then you would want to edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers, and modify it so the "local" entry appears as follows:

* local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -ac

I hope this helps

I think, therefore I am... I think!

I tried to put "-ac" option in /etc/dt/config/Xservers file as mentionned. If I do "xhost" command on the console it says access control disable, but it doesn't work until I do "xhost +" again.... Have an idea?